Jun 2, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
It’s been over a year since former BYU star Jimmer Fredette played a college game, but how could I pass this story up? He’s still a folk hero to collegiate hoopheads, and everybody likes a good wedding, am I right?
Yep, Jimmer got hitched this past week, marrying his college sweetheart Whitney Wonnacott at the Denver Latter Day Saints temple. His blushing bride is apparently a native of Littleton, Colorado, but the happy couple met while both were students at BYU. While Jimmer was battling through his first season as a Sacramento King, Wonnacott was finishing up at Brigham Young. She graduated with a degree in broadcast journalism.
Fredette and Wonnacott met when she was a freshman and he a sophomore. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, they met on a rather rough occasion for the Cougars – the day they lost to the Texas A&M Aggies in Philadelphia in the first round of the 2009 NCAA tournament. She was a cheerleader, he was the team’s leading scorer in the loss (18 points – it sounds so quaint in retrospect).
I know you’re all wondering: how does Jimmer Fredette propose? Details are scant, but the Tribune is able to give us the general idea:
Fredette proposed last Aug. 26, surprising Wonnacott, who thought he would be away at a golf tournament and went to his Provo apartment to help his brother move a car.
Friday morning, Fredette acknowledged that it was the couple’s big day, posting on Twitter: “Wedding Day today! Ready for the best day of my life with @whitwonnacott!”
She worked as an intern at Salt Lake City television station KSL and told the station recently that the wedding preparations were “crazy, but a lot of fun. … I mean, it is stressful at times. There’s a lot to think about, a lot going on.”
What else is there to be said? Congratulations to the Fredettes!
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)