Jun 2, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
It’s been over a year since former BYU star Jimmer Fredette played a college game, but how could I pass this story up? He’s still a folk hero to collegiate hoopheads, and everybody likes a good wedding, am I right?
Yep, Jimmer got hitched this past week, marrying his college sweetheart Whitney Wonnacott at the Denver Latter Day Saints temple. His blushing bride is apparently a native of Littleton, Colorado, but the happy couple met while both were students at BYU. While Jimmer was battling through his first season as a Sacramento King, Wonnacott was finishing up at Brigham Young. She graduated with a degree in broadcast journalism.
Fredette and Wonnacott met when she was a freshman and he a sophomore. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, they met on a rather rough occasion for the Cougars – the day they lost to the Texas A&M Aggies in Philadelphia in the first round of the 2009 NCAA tournament. She was a cheerleader, he was the team’s leading scorer in the loss (18 points – it sounds so quaint in retrospect).
I know you’re all wondering: how does Jimmer Fredette propose? Details are scant, but the Tribune is able to give us the general idea:
Fredette proposed last Aug. 26, surprising Wonnacott, who thought he would be away at a golf tournament and went to his Provo apartment to help his brother move a car.
Friday morning, Fredette acknowledged that it was the couple’s big day, posting on Twitter: “Wedding Day today! Ready for the best day of my life with @whitwonnacott!”
She worked as an intern at Salt Lake City television station KSL and told the station recently that the wedding preparations were “crazy, but a lot of fun. … I mean, it is stressful at times. There’s a lot to think about, a lot going on.”
What else is there to be said? Congratulations to the Fredettes!
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)