Jun 3, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
There may have been a mass exodus of players and a heavy-handed strike from the NCAA in recent months at Connecticut, but a more stabilizing bit of news came from the university Sunday.
According to the Hartford Courant, UConn athletic director Warde Manuel doesn’t have “any doubts” that head coach Jim Calhoun, 70, will return to the sidelines to coach the Huskies next season.
“All indications to me, in conversations, yeah,” he told the paper, reaffirming the idea. “I haven’t worried about that based on our conversations.”
But he did leave the door open, if even slightly.
“On a principle level, I want to have the opportunity to figure out what’s best for us,” Manuel said. “To make sure we are not shutting ourselves off to a broad-based search for what’s in our best interest. That doesn’t mean I don’t have the right to change my mind.”
“Jim and I have had great conversations,” he continued. “I’ve gotten to know his staff. I could very well change my mind about it. But philosophically, it’s just one of those positions I have not gotten comfortable with, cutting off the options. It’s not anything more than that. It’s not that I’ve made a decision on anybody on the staff. I love the staff. I’ve grown to love Jim, in getting to know him.”
The Huskies finished last season with an overall record of 20-14, including 8-10 in the Big East. They lost to Iowa State in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament.
The NCAA has banned the school from the 2012-13 postseason as punishment for a low Academic Progress Rate.
Connecticut will be bringing in three recruits from the Class of 2012: Omar Calhoun, Phil Nolan, and Leon Tolksdorf.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)