Jun 3, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
Which major California-based program led the state in college basketball attendance last season? Perhaps historic UCLA? Maybe fellow Pac-12 member California? Perhaps Fresno State?
Nope. It was resurgent San Diego State of the Mountain West.
The Aztecs came in 29th in the country and tops among all California schools, beating out Cal (52nd), Fresno State (79th), and UCLA (84th).
Now, with the strong recruiting class and renovated Pauley Pavilion at UCLA, San Diego State might be in for an attendance battle in 2012-13, but what head coach Steve Fisher was able to do with his 2011-12 squad is impressive.
Following the departure of key pieces that include San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard, the Aztecs were still able to finish 26-8, including 10-4 in the Mountain West.
Next year they could be even better, bringing in 2012 recruits Winston Shepard, Matt Shrigley, and Skylar Spencer, along with St. John’s transfer Dwayne Polee.
Competition in the conference will increase as well, though, with UNLV adding Top 10 recruit Anthony Bennett, along with guard Katin Reinhardt and transfer Khem Birch. That is in addition to the return of Mike Moser, who averaged 14 points and 10.5 rebounds per game last season.
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)