Jun 3, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
Which major California-based program led the state in college basketball attendance last season? Perhaps historic UCLA? Maybe fellow Pac-12 member California? Perhaps Fresno State?
Nope. It was resurgent San Diego State of the Mountain West.
The Aztecs came in 29th in the country and tops among all California schools, beating out Cal (52nd), Fresno State (79th), and UCLA (84th).
Now, with the strong recruiting class and renovated Pauley Pavilion at UCLA, San Diego State might be in for an attendance battle in 2012-13, but what head coach Steve Fisher was able to do with his 2011-12 squad is impressive.
Following the departure of key pieces that include San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard, the Aztecs were still able to finish 26-8, including 10-4 in the Mountain West.
Next year they could be even better, bringing in 2012 recruits Winston Shepard, Matt Shrigley, and Skylar Spencer, along with St. John’s transfer Dwayne Polee.
Competition in the conference will increase as well, though, with UNLV adding Top 10 recruit Anthony Bennett, along with guard Katin Reinhardt and transfer Khem Birch. That is in addition to the return of Mike Moser, who averaged 14 points and 10.5 rebounds per game last season.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)