Jun 3, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
Which major California-based program led the state in college basketball attendance last season? Perhaps historic UCLA? Maybe fellow Pac-12 member California? Perhaps Fresno State?
Nope. It was resurgent San Diego State of the Mountain West.
The Aztecs came in 29th in the country and tops among all California schools, beating out Cal (52nd), Fresno State (79th), and UCLA (84th).
Now, with the strong recruiting class and renovated Pauley Pavilion at UCLA, San Diego State might be in for an attendance battle in 2012-13, but what head coach Steve Fisher was able to do with his 2011-12 squad is impressive.
Following the departure of key pieces that include San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard, the Aztecs were still able to finish 26-8, including 10-4 in the Mountain West.
Next year they could be even better, bringing in 2012 recruits Winston Shepard, Matt Shrigley, and Skylar Spencer, along with St. John’s transfer Dwayne Polee.
Competition in the conference will increase as well, though, with UNLV adding Top 10 recruit Anthony Bennett, along with guard Katin Reinhardt and transfer Khem Birch. That is in addition to the return of Mike Moser, who averaged 14 points and 10.5 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)