Jun 5, 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
And you thought the coaching carousel was over.
Todd Lickliter has reportedly accepted the head coaching position at Marian University in Indianapolis, an NAIA school. The Knights had to replace John Grimes, who had been at the school for 36 years, when he retired back in March.
Lickliter’s name should be familiar to you. He led Butler to two Sweet 16′s during the 2000′s before taking over the Iowa program in 2007. But in three years as the head man of the Hawkeyes, Lickliter never was able to put together a winning record. In fact, he finished just 38-57 in his time in Iowa City while going just 15-39 in Big Ten games.
Lickliter was fired after the 2010 season, and only returned to coaching this past season as he took a job on Miami-Ohio’s bench. He’ll have his work cut out for him at Marian, as he will be taking over for a living legend. Grimes won more than 500 games at the school, including three conference regular season titles, two tournament titles, three trips to the NAIA National Tournament and an appearance in the 2001 Sweet 16. Grimes also led Marian to an upset win over Butler in 1980, one season after Lickliter graduated from the school.
He should have success. Lickliter is a Butler alum and an Indianapolis native that got his coaching start at Indiana high schools.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte