Jun 5, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
Donte Morales, a 6-7 forward who in April announced his intent to transfer from UNC-Wilmington, was arrested on multiple drug charges Tuesday.
Among the charges are felony possession of marijuana, conspiracy to sell or deliver, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Bond has been set at $35,000.
Morales played two seasons with the Seahawks, with the better of his two years coming in 2011-12, when he averaged 7.2 points and 3.2 rebounds per game.
He was the first player recruited by coach Buzz Peterson in his time at UNC-Wilmington and is a native of Virginia Beach, Va.
According to Brian Mull of the Wilmington Star-News, Morales was enrolled in one summer class, in hopes of improving his GPA or the school’s APR before transfer.
“Either you want to be here or you don’t,” Peterson told the paper after Morales’ transfer, which coincided with the departure of two other players. “We have guys in the program who want to be here. This lets us move forward and get ready for next year.”
In April, the school was denied a second appeal by the NCAA, as the Seahawks tried to avoid a penalty that stemmed from a low Academic Progress Rate, claiming limited school resources.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 31
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 7
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (43)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)