Jun 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
He became the wrinkled face of Butler’s two cinderella runs to the NCAA tournament title game, but he has fallen sick of late.
Blue II, the Bulldog mascot and courtside fixture for Butler, “tweeted” Wednesday that he would be heading back to the veterinarian’s office for another round of IV infusions to treat pneumonia.
The eight-year-old English Bulldog has been Butler’s mascot for nearly his entire life and is the mentor to the mascot-in-waiting, Blue III.
His rise to fame has coincided with that of the school he represents, having graced the cover of Indianapolis Monthly near the peak of Butler’s national appeal.
Blue needs to rest up, though, because he’ll have a big season ahead of him.
The Bulldogs are moving to the A-10, having expedited their departure from the Horizon League and joined the conference with Virginia Commonwealth.
Conference match-ups were released yesterday and Butler did not get a friendly draw, having to play Saint Louis twice, along with Dayton, St. Joe’s, and VCU on the road.
Brad Stevens led Butler to a 22-15 record last season, including 11-7 in the Horizon League, and a berth in the CBI tournament.
Guard Ronald Nored will be graduating, but Butler returns most of their other assets. In addition, the Bulldogs will be bringing in Arkansas transfer Rotnei Clarke and four-star guard Kellen Dunham.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (77)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)