Jun 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EST
He became the wrinkled face of Butler’s two cinderella runs to the NCAA tournament title game, but he has fallen sick of late.
Blue II, the Bulldog mascot and courtside fixture for Butler, “tweeted” Wednesday that he would be heading back to the veterinarian’s office for another round of IV infusions to treat pneumonia.
The eight-year-old English Bulldog has been Butler’s mascot for nearly his entire life and is the mentor to the mascot-in-waiting, Blue III.
His rise to fame has coincided with that of the school he represents, having graced the cover of Indianapolis Monthly near the peak of Butler’s national appeal.
Blue needs to rest up, though, because he’ll have a big season ahead of him.
The Bulldogs are moving to the A-10, having expedited their departure from the Horizon League and joined the conference with Virginia Commonwealth.
Conference match-ups were released yesterday and Butler did not get a friendly draw, having to play Saint Louis twice, along with Dayton, St. Joe’s, and VCU on the road.
Brad Stevens led Butler to a 22-15 record last season, including 11-7 in the Horizon League, and a berth in the CBI tournament.
Guard Ronald Nored will be graduating, but Butler returns most of their other assets. In addition, the Bulldogs will be bringing in Arkansas transfer Rotnei Clarke and four-star guard Kellen Dunham.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)