Jun 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
He became the wrinkled face of Butler’s two cinderella runs to the NCAA tournament title game, but he has fallen sick of late.
Blue II, the Bulldog mascot and courtside fixture for Butler, “tweeted” Wednesday that he would be heading back to the veterinarian’s office for another round of IV infusions to treat pneumonia.
The eight-year-old English Bulldog has been Butler’s mascot for nearly his entire life and is the mentor to the mascot-in-waiting, Blue III.
His rise to fame has coincided with that of the school he represents, having graced the cover of Indianapolis Monthly near the peak of Butler’s national appeal.
Blue needs to rest up, though, because he’ll have a big season ahead of him.
The Bulldogs are moving to the A-10, having expedited their departure from the Horizon League and joined the conference with Virginia Commonwealth.
Conference match-ups were released yesterday and Butler did not get a friendly draw, having to play Saint Louis twice, along with Dayton, St. Joe’s, and VCU on the road.
Brad Stevens led Butler to a 22-15 record last season, including 11-7 in the Horizon League, and a berth in the CBI tournament.
Guard Ronald Nored will be graduating, but Butler returns most of their other assets. In addition, the Bulldogs will be bringing in Arkansas transfer Rotnei Clarke and four-star guard Kellen Dunham.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)