Jun 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
He became the wrinkled face of Butler’s two cinderella runs to the NCAA tournament title game, but he has fallen sick of late.
Blue II, the Bulldog mascot and courtside fixture for Butler, “tweeted” Wednesday that he would be heading back to the veterinarian’s office for another round of IV infusions to treat pneumonia.
The eight-year-old English Bulldog has been Butler’s mascot for nearly his entire life and is the mentor to the mascot-in-waiting, Blue III.
His rise to fame has coincided with that of the school he represents, having graced the cover of Indianapolis Monthly near the peak of Butler’s national appeal.
Blue needs to rest up, though, because he’ll have a big season ahead of him.
The Bulldogs are moving to the A-10, having expedited their departure from the Horizon League and joined the conference with Virginia Commonwealth.
Conference match-ups were released yesterday and Butler did not get a friendly draw, having to play Saint Louis twice, along with Dayton, St. Joe’s, and VCU on the road.
Brad Stevens led Butler to a 22-15 record last season, including 11-7 in the Horizon League, and a berth in the CBI tournament.
Guard Ronald Nored will be graduating, but Butler returns most of their other assets. In addition, the Bulldogs will be bringing in Arkansas transfer Rotnei Clarke and four-star guard Kellen Dunham.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)