Jun 6, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
Earlier today, Todd Lickliter was officially named the head coach at Marian University, an NAIA program that is a long way from the programs he ran back in the 2000′s at Butler and Iowa.
Lickliter isn’t the only former high-major head coach that has taken a new job off the beaten path.
15 years ago, after Ricardo Patton’s first year as the head coach at Colorado, he was a candidate to replace Larry Finch as the head coach of the Memphis Tigers. Earlier today, Patton accepted the job to coach Central High in Memphis, a program that reached their first state tournament in 30 years last season.
A Nashville native and a Belmont alum, Patton started his coaching career in high school before landing an assistant’s position with Middle Tennessee State in 1987. Nine years and four jobs later, Patton was a head coach in the Big 12. He was eventually fired after the 2007 season, when he immediately took over at Northern Illinois. But Patton’s success at NIU was, frankly, non-existent. His team never won more than 10 games in his four seasons at the helm and his tenure is best known for his refusal to grant Sean Kowal a transfer release.
Patton spent last season as an assistant coach at Maryland-Eastern Shore.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional