Jun 7, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
First-year head coach Donnie Tyndall will have some talented players at his disposal at Southern Miss next season.
But unfortunately for the Golden Eagles senior LaShay Page won’t be one of them according to the Hattiesburg American.
Tyndall gave Page his release on Monday, meaning that Southern Miss will have to replace their second-leading scorer from a season ago.
After losing his mother at the age of 38 in late February, it’s reported that Page wanted to finish his collegiate career closer to his father and young daughter in his native Dillon, South Carolina.
“He felt a pull to be close to his dad and his daughter,” Tyndall said to the Hattiesburg American. “The fact that he lost his mom was pretty troublesome to him. It’s a decision he’s made.”
Page averaged 11.6 points and 3.4 rebounds per game last season for the Golden Eagles, who lost to Kansas State in the East region 8/9 game in Pittsburgh.
And with Page planning to graduate from Southern Miss this summer, a skilled 6-2 guard who will most likely be eligible to play immediately will be on the market.
Southern Miss adds New Mexico State transfer Christian Kabongo to the fold next season, and Jerrold Brooks and Dwayne Davis are two other players Tyndall pointed to as expected contributors.
“I feel like our back court will be the strength of the team,” said Tyndall to the newspaper. “You never want to lose a player, but the bottom line is there is depth there and we should be able to absorb the loss.”
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy