Jun 8, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
The Kansas State community suffered a terrible loss on Thursday, as a plane carrying six members of the Bramlage family crashed in central Florida.
The family was headed back home to Junction City, Kansas from the Bahamas, but the plane broke apart and crashed in the Tiger Creek Reserve according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.
Ron Bramlage, whose grandfather’s name adorns Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, and his wife Rebecca were on the plane as were their four children (Brandon, Boston, Beau and Roxanne) whose ages ranged from eight to 15.
Both Ron and Rebecca were Kansas State graduates, and they were known by many in Junction City as important members of the community.
“It’s just a horrific loss,” Junction City Mayor Pat Landes said, adding that the couple supported many local projects and provided college scholarships. The family was well known in town and at Kansas State University, where the basketball arena is named for Ron Bramlage’s grandfather.
Kansas State president Kirk Schultz and athletic director John Currie issued a joint statement, which read:
“We are shocked and saddened by the tragic news of the deaths of Ron and Becky Bramlage and their children today. The Bramlage family holds a special place in the history of Kansas State University and K-State Athletics, and Ron and Becky have been loyal supporters and great fans of K-State. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Bramlage family during this difficult time.”
To say the least it’s been a tough week for the Kansas State family, of which the Bramlage family has been a member since Fred Bramlage attended the school in the 1930s and played a major role in the construction of Bramlage Coliseum.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)