Jun 8, 2012, 4:40 PM EST
According to multiple outlets, former Hawaii point guard Shaquille Stokes has decided to transfer to Hofstra for the final three seasons of his college career.
Stokes, who played his high school basketball at Lincoln HS on Coney Island, will play much closer to home after beginning his college career as far away from home as possible.
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv, Stokes will apply for a hardship waiver in order to be able to play immediately for the CAA school, as his grandmother being ill is a reason for the move.
In 30 games for the Warriors last season Stokes played an average of 20.4 minutes per game, putting up 8.4 points and 2.2 assists per contest.
As for the program he joins, last season was a tough one for Hofstra as they got used to life without the best player in school history in Charles Jenkins.
The Pride finished 10-22 overall with a 3-15 record in CAA play, and they have to replace their top two scorers from that team in Mike Moore and Nathaniel Lester.
The addition of transfers Taran Buie (Penn State) and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel (Connecticut) should help in that regard, and Rhode Island transfer Steve Mejia now having a year with Cassara under his belt should help at the point.
If Stokes’ appeal for a hardship waiver isn’t granted he’ll have to sit out the 2012-13 campaign, with three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2013-14.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (2)