Jun 8, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
According to multiple outlets, former Hawaii point guard Shaquille Stokes has decided to transfer to Hofstra for the final three seasons of his college career.
Stokes, who played his high school basketball at Lincoln HS on Coney Island, will play much closer to home after beginning his college career as far away from home as possible.
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv, Stokes will apply for a hardship waiver in order to be able to play immediately for the CAA school, as his grandmother being ill is a reason for the move.
In 30 games for the Warriors last season Stokes played an average of 20.4 minutes per game, putting up 8.4 points and 2.2 assists per contest.
As for the program he joins, last season was a tough one for Hofstra as they got used to life without the best player in school history in Charles Jenkins.
The Pride finished 10-22 overall with a 3-15 record in CAA play, and they have to replace their top two scorers from that team in Mike Moore and Nathaniel Lester.
The addition of transfers Taran Buie (Penn State) and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel (Connecticut) should help in that regard, and Rhode Island transfer Steve Mejia now having a year with Cassara under his belt should help at the point.
If Stokes’ appeal for a hardship waiver isn’t granted he’ll have to sit out the 2012-13 campaign, with three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2013-14.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 8
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles