Jun 9, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
With his strong performance down the stretch for Syracuse this past season, Dion Waiters has become one of top shooting guards in the 2012 NBA Draft, probably set to be selected anywhere between the back half of the lottery and about the 20th overall pick.
And it took some by surprise when Waiters, a 6-4, 215-pound Philadelphia native, pulled out of the rest of his workouts and interviews with NBA teams, sparking rumors that he has received a promise from one front office that he would be selected in the lottery.
RealGM.com points out that teams like Toronto, Portland, and Phoenix may have made the promise to him, with those three teams sitting on a pick in the second half of the lottery.
“His agent has told me there’s a promise to another team,” Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo said, according to the site. “Regardless, if he’s on the board he’s in our mix.”
Waiters averaged 12.6 points and 2.6 assists per game this past season for the Orange in 2011-12, including 28 points in a Big East tournament loss to Cincinnati.
Most appealing to teams, perhaps, is Waiters’ size and muscular frame, which would translate well as a shooting guard at the NBA level. Scouts are also high on his intangibles, and the fact that he was able to excel at Syracuse, coming off the bench, yet was many times the most impressive player on the floor.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)