Jun 9, 2012, 12:36 PM EST
The majority of the recent academic scandal at North Carolina has centered around the possible misdeeds of the football program, but a new report, released Saturday, keeps UNC basketball from completely disassociating itself from the situation, at least for now.
According to the Raleigh News & Observer, the scandal centers around the legitimacy of a particular summer course, AFAM 280: Blacks in North Carolina, and the conduct of one professor, Julius Nyang’oro, the longtime chairman of the African and Afro-American Studies Department.
Roy Williams spoke last month on the issue, quick to defend his players in the face of an investigation.
“The players were eligible to be enrolled in those classes, as were non-student-athletes, and they did the work that was assigned to them,” Williams told the N&O through an athletic department spokesman.
Now, according to this newest report, records show that the legitimacy of nine classes are of particular interest and the professors listed for these classes have denied involvement, claiming their “signatures were forged on records related to them.”
The classes in question included a majority of football and basketball players.
“I just think this has uncovered some information that quite frankly, the university, we’re not proud of,” athletic director Bubba Cunningham told the paper. “But we’ll continue to work to ensure that it doesn’t happen going forward.”
To read the entire report, click here.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)