Jun 9, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
The majority of the recent academic scandal at North Carolina has centered around the possible misdeeds of the football program, but a new report, released Saturday, keeps UNC basketball from completely disassociating itself from the situation, at least for now.
According to the Raleigh News & Observer, the scandal centers around the legitimacy of a particular summer course, AFAM 280: Blacks in North Carolina, and the conduct of one professor, Julius Nyang’oro, the longtime chairman of the African and Afro-American Studies Department.
Roy Williams spoke last month on the issue, quick to defend his players in the face of an investigation.
“The players were eligible to be enrolled in those classes, as were non-student-athletes, and they did the work that was assigned to them,” Williams told the N&O through an athletic department spokesman.
Now, according to this newest report, records show that the legitimacy of nine classes are of particular interest and the professors listed for these classes have denied involvement, claiming their “signatures were forged on records related to them.”
The classes in question included a majority of football and basketball players.
“I just think this has uncovered some information that quite frankly, the university, we’re not proud of,” athletic director Bubba Cunningham told the paper. “But we’ll continue to work to ensure that it doesn’t happen going forward.”
To read the entire report, click here.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)