Jun 9, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
The majority of the recent academic scandal at North Carolina has centered around the possible misdeeds of the football program, but a new report, released Saturday, keeps UNC basketball from completely disassociating itself from the situation, at least for now.
According to the Raleigh News & Observer, the scandal centers around the legitimacy of a particular summer course, AFAM 280: Blacks in North Carolina, and the conduct of one professor, Julius Nyang’oro, the longtime chairman of the African and Afro-American Studies Department.
Roy Williams spoke last month on the issue, quick to defend his players in the face of an investigation.
“The players were eligible to be enrolled in those classes, as were non-student-athletes, and they did the work that was assigned to them,” Williams told the N&O through an athletic department spokesman.
Now, according to this newest report, records show that the legitimacy of nine classes are of particular interest and the professors listed for these classes have denied involvement, claiming their “signatures were forged on records related to them.”
The classes in question included a majority of football and basketball players.
“I just think this has uncovered some information that quite frankly, the university, we’re not proud of,” athletic director Bubba Cunningham told the paper. “But we’ll continue to work to ensure that it doesn’t happen going forward.”
To read the entire report, click here.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)