Jun 9, 2012, 12:36 PM EST
The majority of the recent academic scandal at North Carolina has centered around the possible misdeeds of the football program, but a new report, released Saturday, keeps UNC basketball from completely disassociating itself from the situation, at least for now.
According to the Raleigh News & Observer, the scandal centers around the legitimacy of a particular summer course, AFAM 280: Blacks in North Carolina, and the conduct of one professor, Julius Nyang’oro, the longtime chairman of the African and Afro-American Studies Department.
Roy Williams spoke last month on the issue, quick to defend his players in the face of an investigation.
“The players were eligible to be enrolled in those classes, as were non-student-athletes, and they did the work that was assigned to them,” Williams told the N&O through an athletic department spokesman.
Now, according to this newest report, records show that the legitimacy of nine classes are of particular interest and the professors listed for these classes have denied involvement, claiming their “signatures were forged on records related to them.”
The classes in question included a majority of football and basketball players.
“I just think this has uncovered some information that quite frankly, the university, we’re not proud of,” athletic director Bubba Cunningham told the paper. “But we’ll continue to work to ensure that it doesn’t happen going forward.”
To read the entire report, click here.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)