Jun 9, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
After just one year of Division I eligibility, Florida Gulf Coast has already landed a former Top 100 recruit.
Jamail Jones, a 6-6 forward who spent his last two seasons playing for Buzz Williams at Marquette, has transferred to FGCU and will be eligible to play at the beginning of the 2013-14 season.
“Jamail has the unique combination of size, athleticism, and skill level that can help him become an exceptional scorer and versatile play-maker,” head coach Andy Enfield said in a statement. “He fits in perfectly with our other talented young players in our up-tempo style of play. I could not be more excited than to welcome Jamail and his wonderful parents to the FGCU basketball family.”
Jones averaged 1.6 points and 1.3 rebounds in his two seasons at Marquette, after attending high school at Montverde (Fla.), a national basketball powerhouse located in central Florida.
FGCU is building a strong foundation for itself, in the infancy of its Division I existence, also bringing in Nate Hicks, a 6-10 transfer from Georgia Tech, and 6-9 Iowa State transfer Eric McKnight.
Hicks will have to sit out the 2013-14 season, alongside Jones, but McKnight will be eligible for this upcoming season, after sitting out in 2011-12.
Those new additions will be added to a core that returns 85% of its scoring and 84% of its rebounding from last season.
The Eagles finished 15-17 last season, including 8-10 in the Atlantic Sun.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)