Jun 9, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
After just one year of Division I eligibility, Florida Gulf Coast has already landed a former Top 100 recruit.
Jamail Jones, a 6-6 forward who spent his last two seasons playing for Buzz Williams at Marquette, has transferred to FGCU and will be eligible to play at the beginning of the 2013-14 season.
“Jamail has the unique combination of size, athleticism, and skill level that can help him become an exceptional scorer and versatile play-maker,” head coach Andy Enfield said in a statement. “He fits in perfectly with our other talented young players in our up-tempo style of play. I could not be more excited than to welcome Jamail and his wonderful parents to the FGCU basketball family.”
Jones averaged 1.6 points and 1.3 rebounds in his two seasons at Marquette, after attending high school at Montverde (Fla.), a national basketball powerhouse located in central Florida.
FGCU is building a strong foundation for itself, in the infancy of its Division I existence, also bringing in Nate Hicks, a 6-10 transfer from Georgia Tech, and 6-9 Iowa State transfer Eric McKnight.
Hicks will have to sit out the 2013-14 season, alongside Jones, but McKnight will be eligible for this upcoming season, after sitting out in 2011-12.
Those new additions will be added to a core that returns 85% of its scoring and 84% of its rebounding from last season.
The Eagles finished 15-17 last season, including 8-10 in the Atlantic Sun.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)