Jun 9, 2012, 2:01 PM EST
After just one year of Division I eligibility, Florida Gulf Coast has already landed a former Top 100 recruit.
Jamail Jones, a 6-6 forward who spent his last two seasons playing for Buzz Williams at Marquette, has transferred to FGCU and will be eligible to play at the beginning of the 2013-14 season.
“Jamail has the unique combination of size, athleticism, and skill level that can help him become an exceptional scorer and versatile play-maker,” head coach Andy Enfield said in a statement. “He fits in perfectly with our other talented young players in our up-tempo style of play. I could not be more excited than to welcome Jamail and his wonderful parents to the FGCU basketball family.”
Jones averaged 1.6 points and 1.3 rebounds in his two seasons at Marquette, after attending high school at Montverde (Fla.), a national basketball powerhouse located in central Florida.
FGCU is building a strong foundation for itself, in the infancy of its Division I existence, also bringing in Nate Hicks, a 6-10 transfer from Georgia Tech, and 6-9 Iowa State transfer Eric McKnight.
Hicks will have to sit out the 2013-14 season, alongside Jones, but McKnight will be eligible for this upcoming season, after sitting out in 2011-12.
Those new additions will be added to a core that returns 85% of its scoring and 84% of its rebounding from last season.
The Eagles finished 15-17 last season, including 8-10 in the Atlantic Sun.
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 0
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)