Jun 10, 2012, 2:53 PM EST
Thank you, and goodbye.
Charles Carmouche, days after receiving word from the NCAA that he would be granted a medical hardship waiver and a fifth year of eligibility, is transferring from the Memphis program, Tigers’ coach Josh Pastner announced Friday.
This will be the second transfer of Carmouche’s college career, as he left New Orleans after his sophomore season to join the Tigers.
He graduated from Memphis in May, which will allow him to play immediately at the Division I institution of his choice, taking advantage of the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule.
“Charles and I had a great discussion, but we decided Charles will finish his final year of eligibility at another institution,” Pastner told the Commerical Appeal. “I am so proud of Charles for earning his degree.”
In a statement released at the time Carmouche was granted a fifth year of eligibility, Pastner said he would meet with the New Orleans native to “evaluate what is best for his future.”
A combination of problems troubled Carmouche this past season, causing him to play just seven games.
Early in the season, he suffered a knee injury and was later suspended for making an unauthorized charge to his hotel room in Maui, while the team was in Hawaii for the Maui Invitational.
Though he was cleared to play by the medical staff in January, he chose to sit out the rest of the year in hopes of being granted a medical redshirt, which he received this week.
So far in his four-year collegiate he career, he has averaged 7.9 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)