Jun 10, 2012, 2:53 PM EST
Thank you, and goodbye.
Charles Carmouche, days after receiving word from the NCAA that he would be granted a medical hardship waiver and a fifth year of eligibility, is transferring from the Memphis program, Tigers’ coach Josh Pastner announced Friday.
This will be the second transfer of Carmouche’s college career, as he left New Orleans after his sophomore season to join the Tigers.
He graduated from Memphis in May, which will allow him to play immediately at the Division I institution of his choice, taking advantage of the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule.
“Charles and I had a great discussion, but we decided Charles will finish his final year of eligibility at another institution,” Pastner told the Commerical Appeal. “I am so proud of Charles for earning his degree.”
In a statement released at the time Carmouche was granted a fifth year of eligibility, Pastner said he would meet with the New Orleans native to “evaluate what is best for his future.”
A combination of problems troubled Carmouche this past season, causing him to play just seven games.
Early in the season, he suffered a knee injury and was later suspended for making an unauthorized charge to his hotel room in Maui, while the team was in Hawaii for the Maui Invitational.
Though he was cleared to play by the medical staff in January, he chose to sit out the rest of the year in hopes of being granted a medical redshirt, which he received this week.
So far in his four-year collegiate he career, he has averaged 7.9 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)