Jun 10, 2012, 9:21 AM EDT
On Saturday night, USA Basketball announced its final roster for the U18 National Team, a group that will compete in the 2012 FIBA Americas U18 Championship from June 16-20 in Sao Sebastiáo do Paraiso, Brazil.
The roster was cut from 23 players to 14 on Friday, and was trimmed once more Saturday, to get to the final 12 who will represent the United States.
“I think we’ve got some balance, we’ve got some versatility, we can move guys to some different positions. This has been a group that has picked up things pretty well so far so I’m excited about it,” U18 head coach Billy Donovan, also of the Florida Gators, said in a statement. “The thing I’ve been most impressed with since we started is just their attitudes. It seems like we’ve got really good chemistry, they get along real well, they seem to be a cohesive group.”
In order to compete, players must have been born on or after January 1, 1994.
Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes is the only player on the final roster with collegiate experience, having played in 17 games last season for the Volunteers and averaging 9.6 points and 7.4 rebounds.
He was named to the SEC All-Freshman team.
The complete roster is as follows:
Nate Britt, II (Gonzaga H.S., D.C./Upper Marlboro, Md./North Carolina signee)
Sam Dekker (Sheboygan Lutheran H.S./Sheboygan, Wis./Wisconsin signee)
Shaq Goodwin (Southwest DeKalb H.S./Decatur, Ga./Memphis signee)
Jerami Grant(DeMatha Catholic/Bowie, Md./Syracuse signee)
Montrezl Harrell(Hargrave Military Academy/Tarboro, N.C./Louisville signee)
Jake Layman(King Phillip Regional H.S./Wrentham, Mass./Maryland signee)
Rodney Purvis (Upper Room Christian/Raleigh, N.C./NC State signee)
Julius Randle (Prestonwood Christian Academy/ McKinney, Texas/Uncommitted)
James Robinson (DeMatha Catholic H.S./Mitchellville, Md./Pittsburgh signee)
Marcus Smart (Marcus H.S./Flower Mound, Texas/Oklahoma State signee)
Jarnell Stokes (Memphis, Tenn./Tennessee sophomore)
Rasheed Sulaimon (Strake Jesuit College Prep/Houston, Texas/Duke signee)
Uncommitted 2013 forward Austin Nichols and UNC-bound 2012 center Joel James were the last two players to be cut from the roster.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)