Jun 10, 2012, 9:21 AM EST
On Saturday night, USA Basketball announced its final roster for the U18 National Team, a group that will compete in the 2012 FIBA Americas U18 Championship from June 16-20 in Sao Sebastiáo do Paraiso, Brazil.
The roster was cut from 23 players to 14 on Friday, and was trimmed once more Saturday, to get to the final 12 who will represent the United States.
“I think we’ve got some balance, we’ve got some versatility, we can move guys to some different positions. This has been a group that has picked up things pretty well so far so I’m excited about it,” U18 head coach Billy Donovan, also of the Florida Gators, said in a statement. “The thing I’ve been most impressed with since we started is just their attitudes. It seems like we’ve got really good chemistry, they get along real well, they seem to be a cohesive group.”
In order to compete, players must have been born on or after January 1, 1994.
Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes is the only player on the final roster with collegiate experience, having played in 17 games last season for the Volunteers and averaging 9.6 points and 7.4 rebounds.
He was named to the SEC All-Freshman team.
The complete roster is as follows:
Nate Britt, II (Gonzaga H.S., D.C./Upper Marlboro, Md./North Carolina signee)
Sam Dekker (Sheboygan Lutheran H.S./Sheboygan, Wis./Wisconsin signee)
Shaq Goodwin (Southwest DeKalb H.S./Decatur, Ga./Memphis signee)
Jerami Grant(DeMatha Catholic/Bowie, Md./Syracuse signee)
Montrezl Harrell(Hargrave Military Academy/Tarboro, N.C./Louisville signee)
Jake Layman(King Phillip Regional H.S./Wrentham, Mass./Maryland signee)
Rodney Purvis (Upper Room Christian/Raleigh, N.C./NC State signee)
Julius Randle (Prestonwood Christian Academy/ McKinney, Texas/Uncommitted)
James Robinson (DeMatha Catholic H.S./Mitchellville, Md./Pittsburgh signee)
Marcus Smart (Marcus H.S./Flower Mound, Texas/Oklahoma State signee)
Jarnell Stokes (Memphis, Tenn./Tennessee sophomore)
Rasheed Sulaimon (Strake Jesuit College Prep/Houston, Texas/Duke signee)
Uncommitted 2013 forward Austin Nichols and UNC-bound 2012 center Joel James were the last two players to be cut from the roster.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)