Jun 11, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
Steve Lavin just continues to stockpile talent at St. John’s.
Chris Obekpa, a 6-9 center who’s essentially the best unsigned player still available in the class of 2012, tweeted that he’s headed to St. John’s next year, making him the fifth player in this year’s class.
“Keeping my talent in the MECCA,” he tweeted.
Obekpa isn’t the prize recruit of the class – that’s power forward Jakarr Sampson – but he’ll be a welcome addition as a shot blocker and post presence to a team that didn’t play anyone taller than 6-8 last season. And without Moe Harkless (who headed to the NBA), he could be a significant contributor right away.
“Chris plays every possession like it’s his last,” OSNA assistant coach Eric Jaklitsch told CBSSports.com. “He wants to get his triple-double.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL