Jun 13, 2012, 7:11 PM EDT
Doc Sadler spent the past six seasons as the head coach of Nebraska, succeeding in getting the Cornhuskers out of the bottom of the Big 12 only when the school joined the Big Ten.
After getting canned from the Big Ten’s newest member earlier this spring, Sadler will make a triumphant return to the Big 12 as the Director of Basketball Operations at Kansas.
“I am excited to announce that Doc Sadler has accepted the position of director of basketball operations in our program,” Kansas head coach Bill Self said. “I’ve known Doc for 25 years and have certainly followed his career. Watching his career at UTEP and seeing and competing against him when he was at Nebraska sold me on his ability for him to come in here and make us better.”
“This is an unbelievable opportunity to have a chance to get back into college basketball,” Sadler said. “When making decisions, I really thought I would sit out this year but when this came along I don’t think anyone would ever pass it up. I am thankful to Coach Self in giving me this opportunity. To be part of a program such as Kansas is unbelievable.”
Sadler replaces Barry Hinson, who spent four years on the Kansas staff before taking over the Southern Illinois program.
Obviously, Self has just as tough of a time recruiting staff members as he does McDonald’s all-americans. With Hinson and Danny Manning (who took over at Tulsa) leaving this spring, the Jayhawk head man was able to replace them with Sadler and Norm Roberts, who was the head coach at St. John’s for six years.
Could be worse …
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final