Jun 14, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
John Groce secured the first commitment of his tenure at Illinois on Wednesday, as 2013 center Maverick Morgan tweeted his intentions to play for the Illini.
Morgan, a 6-10, 235-pound native of Springboro, Ohio, joins guard Malcolm Hill as the two prospects committed to Illinois, with Hill having pledged his name while Bruce Weber was still the head man in Champaign.
“I’ve known the staff for over a year from (them recruiting me at Ohio,)” Morgan told ESPNChicago.com. “I was at the campus all day (Tuesday), (they) showed me around and saw all the facilities. I think coach (John) Groce is going to do a good job there. Seeing what he’s laid out there for his players, everyone who goes there they’re going to get better and better.
“I’m happy to join the Illinois family. It’s kind of exciting.”
Groce came to Illinois from Ohio after leading the Bobcats to a berth in the Sweet 16.
With his size and weight, Morgan still may not be done growing, meaning there is still a good deal of upside. Illinois recently sent seven-footer Meyers Leonard to the draft and he is projected to be a lottery pick.
For now, Morgan excels most as a shot-blocker and rebounder, and continues to develop skills on the offensive end.
Under Bruce Weber this past season, the Illini finished 17-15 last season, including 6-12 in the Big Ten.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston