Jun 14, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
Two weeks after announcing his intent to transfer from Villanova, it appears there is a possibility Markus Kennedy might not be going anywhere after all, Philly.com is reporting.
According to the report, Kennedy has expressed an interest to stay and has contacted Villanova head coach Jay Wright about his intentions. Website sources indicate that Wright might be willing to take him back and wouldn’t see any possible delays from the administration or from compliance to make the move happen.
Kennedy averaged 3.0 points and 4.4 rebounds per game last season for the Wildcats, who finished with an overall record of 13-19, including 5-13 in the Big East.
Villanova will be bringing in a two-man recruiting class and, though not large, features two solid prospects in guard Ryan Arcidiacono and center Daniel Ochefu.
Were Kennedy to return, Ochefu could end up taking some of his minutes, though the Wildcats could still use him in the frontcourt alongside Mouphtaou Yarou and Maurice Sutton.
The most difficult thing for Villanova, looking forward, is how it will compensate for the loss of its two top scorers, moving into 2012-13.
Both Maalik Wayns and Dominic Cheek declared early for the NBA draft, leaving a scoring void of more than 30 points per game.
That leaves Yarou as the top returning scorer, having averaged 11.3 points per game, along with sophomore-to-be JayVaughn Pinkston, who averaged 9.6 per game this past season.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)