Jun 16, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
Recruiting successes keep coming for head coach Dave Rice and UNLV.
Already having scored a late commitment from Top 10 prospect Anthony Bennett, Friday brought more good news, as Constitution (Pa.) forward Savon Goodman pledged his name to the Runnin’ Rebels via Twitter.
Goodman joins Bennett, guards Katin Reinhardt and DaQuan Cook, athletic forward Demetris Morant, and transfers Bryce Jones and Khem Birch in UNLV’s Class of 2012.
Birch becomes eligible mid-season, and Connecticut transfer Roscoe Smith is applying for to the NCAA for an eligibility waiver, following UConn’s 2012-13 postseason ban, which was spurred by the Huskies’ low Academic Progress Rate.
If Smith is granted the waiver, which would change the NCAA’s typical pattern of ruling on such matters, Goodman would redshirt, according to Ryan Greene of RunRebs.com.
Questions had been raised about whether Goodman would remain in the Class of 2012 and, if he did, whether he would qualify.
Also according to Greene, Goodman will be enrolled in UNLV’s third session of summer school, which begins July 9, which means he would make the team’s planned summer trip to Canada.
The 6-6, 190-pound Goodman was down to UNLV and SMU and recently visited the UNLV campus. He gives the Rebels another athletic frontcourt piece, which makes them even more dangerous in an up-tempo transition game.
UNLV finished 26-9 last season, including 9-5 in the Mountain West. The biggest key to last season’s success, leading scorer and rebounder Mike Moser, will return for his junior year.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)