Jun 16, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
Recruiting successes keep coming for head coach Dave Rice and UNLV.
Already having scored a late commitment from Top 10 prospect Anthony Bennett, Friday brought more good news, as Constitution (Pa.) forward Savon Goodman pledged his name to the Runnin’ Rebels via Twitter.
Goodman joins Bennett, guards Katin Reinhardt and DaQuan Cook, athletic forward Demetris Morant, and transfers Bryce Jones and Khem Birch in UNLV’s Class of 2012.
Birch becomes eligible mid-season, and Connecticut transfer Roscoe Smith is applying for to the NCAA for an eligibility waiver, following UConn’s 2012-13 postseason ban, which was spurred by the Huskies’ low Academic Progress Rate.
If Smith is granted the waiver, which would change the NCAA’s typical pattern of ruling on such matters, Goodman would redshirt, according to Ryan Greene of RunRebs.com.
Questions had been raised about whether Goodman would remain in the Class of 2012 and, if he did, whether he would qualify.
Also according to Greene, Goodman will be enrolled in UNLV’s third session of summer school, which begins July 9, which means he would make the team’s planned summer trip to Canada.
The 6-6, 190-pound Goodman was down to UNLV and SMU and recently visited the UNLV campus. He gives the Rebels another athletic frontcourt piece, which makes them even more dangerous in an up-tempo transition game.
UNLV finished 26-9 last season, including 9-5 in the Mountain West. The biggest key to last season’s success, leading scorer and rebounder Mike Moser, will return for his junior year.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)