Jun 16, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
Recruiting successes keep coming for head coach Dave Rice and UNLV.
Already having scored a late commitment from Top 10 prospect Anthony Bennett, Friday brought more good news, as Constitution (Pa.) forward Savon Goodman pledged his name to the Runnin’ Rebels via Twitter.
Goodman joins Bennett, guards Katin Reinhardt and DaQuan Cook, athletic forward Demetris Morant, and transfers Bryce Jones and Khem Birch in UNLV’s Class of 2012.
Birch becomes eligible mid-season, and Connecticut transfer Roscoe Smith is applying for to the NCAA for an eligibility waiver, following UConn’s 2012-13 postseason ban, which was spurred by the Huskies’ low Academic Progress Rate.
If Smith is granted the waiver, which would change the NCAA’s typical pattern of ruling on such matters, Goodman would redshirt, according to Ryan Greene of RunRebs.com.
Questions had been raised about whether Goodman would remain in the Class of 2012 and, if he did, whether he would qualify.
Also according to Greene, Goodman will be enrolled in UNLV’s third session of summer school, which begins July 9, which means he would make the team’s planned summer trip to Canada.
The 6-6, 190-pound Goodman was down to UNLV and SMU and recently visited the UNLV campus. He gives the Rebels another athletic frontcourt piece, which makes them even more dangerous in an up-tempo transition game.
UNLV finished 26-9 last season, including 9-5 in the Mountain West. The biggest key to last season’s success, leading scorer and rebounder Mike Moser, will return for his junior year.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 2
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)