Jun 16, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
Recruiting successes keep coming for head coach Dave Rice and UNLV.
Already having scored a late commitment from Top 10 prospect Anthony Bennett, Friday brought more good news, as Constitution (Pa.) forward Savon Goodman pledged his name to the Runnin’ Rebels via Twitter.
Goodman joins Bennett, guards Katin Reinhardt and DaQuan Cook, athletic forward Demetris Morant, and transfers Bryce Jones and Khem Birch in UNLV’s Class of 2012.
Birch becomes eligible mid-season, and Connecticut transfer Roscoe Smith is applying for to the NCAA for an eligibility waiver, following UConn’s 2012-13 postseason ban, which was spurred by the Huskies’ low Academic Progress Rate.
If Smith is granted the waiver, which would change the NCAA’s typical pattern of ruling on such matters, Goodman would redshirt, according to Ryan Greene of RunRebs.com.
Questions had been raised about whether Goodman would remain in the Class of 2012 and, if he did, whether he would qualify.
Also according to Greene, Goodman will be enrolled in UNLV’s third session of summer school, which begins July 9, which means he would make the team’s planned summer trip to Canada.
The 6-6, 190-pound Goodman was down to UNLV and SMU and recently visited the UNLV campus. He gives the Rebels another athletic frontcourt piece, which makes them even more dangerous in an up-tempo transition game.
UNLV finished 26-9 last season, including 9-5 in the Mountain West. The biggest key to last season’s success, leading scorer and rebounder Mike Moser, will return for his junior year.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)