Jun 16, 2012, 9:26 AM EST
Recruiting successes keep coming for head coach Dave Rice and UNLV.
Already having scored a late commitment from Top 10 prospect Anthony Bennett, Friday brought more good news, as Constitution (Pa.) forward Savon Goodman pledged his name to the Runnin’ Rebels via Twitter.
Goodman joins Bennett, guards Katin Reinhardt and DaQuan Cook, athletic forward Demetris Morant, and transfers Bryce Jones and Khem Birch in UNLV’s Class of 2012.
Birch becomes eligible mid-season, and Connecticut transfer Roscoe Smith is applying for to the NCAA for an eligibility waiver, following UConn’s 2012-13 postseason ban, which was spurred by the Huskies’ low Academic Progress Rate.
If Smith is granted the waiver, which would change the NCAA’s typical pattern of ruling on such matters, Goodman would redshirt, according to Ryan Greene of RunRebs.com.
Questions had been raised about whether Goodman would remain in the Class of 2012 and, if he did, whether he would qualify.
Also according to Greene, Goodman will be enrolled in UNLV’s third session of summer school, which begins July 9, which means he would make the team’s planned summer trip to Canada.
The 6-6, 190-pound Goodman was down to UNLV and SMU and recently visited the UNLV campus. He gives the Rebels another athletic frontcourt piece, which makes them even more dangerous in an up-tempo transition game.
UNLV finished 26-9 last season, including 9-5 in the Mountain West. The biggest key to last season’s success, leading scorer and rebounder Mike Moser, will return for his junior year.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)