Jun 16, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
The Arizona Wildcats have extended the contract of head coach Sean Miller through the 2016-17 season, the school announced in a statement.
The Arizona Board of Regents approved the one-year extension Friday.
“Our program has made tremendous strides under [Miller's] leadership and the future looks exceptionally bright,” Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne said in a release. “This just re-emphasizes our commitment to Coach Miller and the University of Arizona men’s basketball program.”
Under Miller’s watch, the Wildcats have a 69-35 record over the past three seasons, including a Pac-10 regular-season title and Elite Eight berth in 2011. The performance won him the Pac-10 Coach of the Year award.
In 2011-12, the Wildcats missed the NCAA tournament and lost in the first round of the NIT to Bucknell, 65-54.
But Miller will be reloading with his 2012 recruiting class, which is arguably the best in the Pac-12 and Top 3 in the country.
Seven-footer Kaleb Tarczewski leads the new Wildcat frontcourt, which also includes Top 20 prospects Brandon Ashley and Grant Jarrett.
Guard Gabe York joins sophomore Nick Johnson in the backcourt, along with graduate guard Mark Lyons, the Xavier transfer who will be able to play right away.
“During the last three years we have been able to lay a strong foundation for future success both in the classroom and on the basketball court,” Miller said in a statement. “I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead as we work toward building our program into a national contender once again.”
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games