Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
Nebraska freshman guard Corey Hilliard Jr. has been dismissed from the Cornhusker basketball team, head coach Tim Miles announced Friday.
Hilliard Jr. was arrested June 7 on suspicion of robbery after, police say, he stole a cell phone during an incident last month. He allegedly took the phone from a woman and fled the scene in a car, the Lincoln Journal Star reports.
During his one season as Nebraska, Hilliard Jr. averaged 0.8 points per game and played under five minutes per contest.
Hilliard Jr.’s dismissal is another step as Nebraska continues to go through a transition, all of which began with the firing of coach Doc Sadler, who is now the director of basketball operations at Kansas.
Colorado State head coach Tim Miles was hired to fill Sadler’s position, coming over from a CSU team that finished 20-12 this past season and made an appearance in the NCAA tournament.
In its first season in the Big Ten in 2011-12, Nebraska finished 12-18, including 4-14 in-conference.
Seniors Bo Spencer and Toney McCray, the team’s top two leading scorers, have graduated, meaning that rising senior Dylan Talley will be the team’s top returning offensive option. He averaged 8.9 points per game last season.
The Cornhuskers welcome four players from the Class of 2012, led by forward Shavon Shields.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)