Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 AM EST
Nebraska freshman guard Corey Hilliard Jr. has been dismissed from the Cornhusker basketball team, head coach Tim Miles announced Friday.
Hilliard Jr. was arrested June 7 on suspicion of robbery after, police say, he stole a cell phone during an incident last month. He allegedly took the phone from a woman and fled the scene in a car, the Lincoln Journal Star reports.
During his one season as Nebraska, Hilliard Jr. averaged 0.8 points per game and played under five minutes per contest.
Hilliard Jr.’s dismissal is another step as Nebraska continues to go through a transition, all of which began with the firing of coach Doc Sadler, who is now the director of basketball operations at Kansas.
Colorado State head coach Tim Miles was hired to fill Sadler’s position, coming over from a CSU team that finished 20-12 this past season and made an appearance in the NCAA tournament.
In its first season in the Big Ten in 2011-12, Nebraska finished 12-18, including 4-14 in-conference.
Seniors Bo Spencer and Toney McCray, the team’s top two leading scorers, have graduated, meaning that rising senior Dylan Talley will be the team’s top returning offensive option. He averaged 8.9 points per game last season.
The Cornhuskers welcome four players from the Class of 2012, led by forward Shavon Shields.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)