Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
Nebraska freshman guard Corey Hilliard Jr. has been dismissed from the Cornhusker basketball team, head coach Tim Miles announced Friday.
Hilliard Jr. was arrested June 7 on suspicion of robbery after, police say, he stole a cell phone during an incident last month. He allegedly took the phone from a woman and fled the scene in a car, the Lincoln Journal Star reports.
During his one season as Nebraska, Hilliard Jr. averaged 0.8 points per game and played under five minutes per contest.
Hilliard Jr.’s dismissal is another step as Nebraska continues to go through a transition, all of which began with the firing of coach Doc Sadler, who is now the director of basketball operations at Kansas.
Colorado State head coach Tim Miles was hired to fill Sadler’s position, coming over from a CSU team that finished 20-12 this past season and made an appearance in the NCAA tournament.
In its first season in the Big Ten in 2011-12, Nebraska finished 12-18, including 4-14 in-conference.
Seniors Bo Spencer and Toney McCray, the team’s top two leading scorers, have graduated, meaning that rising senior Dylan Talley will be the team’s top returning offensive option. He averaged 8.9 points per game last season.
The Cornhuskers welcome four players from the Class of 2012, led by forward Shavon Shields.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)