Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 AM EST
Nebraska freshman guard Corey Hilliard Jr. has been dismissed from the Cornhusker basketball team, head coach Tim Miles announced Friday.
Hilliard Jr. was arrested June 7 on suspicion of robbery after, police say, he stole a cell phone during an incident last month. He allegedly took the phone from a woman and fled the scene in a car, the Lincoln Journal Star reports.
During his one season as Nebraska, Hilliard Jr. averaged 0.8 points per game and played under five minutes per contest.
Hilliard Jr.’s dismissal is another step as Nebraska continues to go through a transition, all of which began with the firing of coach Doc Sadler, who is now the director of basketball operations at Kansas.
Colorado State head coach Tim Miles was hired to fill Sadler’s position, coming over from a CSU team that finished 20-12 this past season and made an appearance in the NCAA tournament.
In its first season in the Big Ten in 2011-12, Nebraska finished 12-18, including 4-14 in-conference.
Seniors Bo Spencer and Toney McCray, the team’s top two leading scorers, have graduated, meaning that rising senior Dylan Talley will be the team’s top returning offensive option. He averaged 8.9 points per game last season.
The Cornhuskers welcome four players from the Class of 2012, led by forward Shavon Shields.
- Bubble Banter: Whose tournament hopes are on the line on Tuesday night? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)