Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
Nebraska freshman guard Corey Hilliard Jr. has been dismissed from the Cornhusker basketball team, head coach Tim Miles announced Friday.
Hilliard Jr. was arrested June 7 on suspicion of robbery after, police say, he stole a cell phone during an incident last month. He allegedly took the phone from a woman and fled the scene in a car, the Lincoln Journal Star reports.
During his one season as Nebraska, Hilliard Jr. averaged 0.8 points per game and played under five minutes per contest.
Hilliard Jr.’s dismissal is another step as Nebraska continues to go through a transition, all of which began with the firing of coach Doc Sadler, who is now the director of basketball operations at Kansas.
Colorado State head coach Tim Miles was hired to fill Sadler’s position, coming over from a CSU team that finished 20-12 this past season and made an appearance in the NCAA tournament.
In its first season in the Big Ten in 2011-12, Nebraska finished 12-18, including 4-14 in-conference.
Seniors Bo Spencer and Toney McCray, the team’s top two leading scorers, have graduated, meaning that rising senior Dylan Talley will be the team’s top returning offensive option. He averaged 8.9 points per game last season.
The Cornhuskers welcome four players from the Class of 2012, led by forward Shavon Shields.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)