Jun 16, 2012, 9:34 PM EST
Assuming that no other schools plan to leave or join the Atlantic Coast Conference in the next few months, the question remains: given the expansion that the conference has gone through recently — adding Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the Big East, will there be any realignment of the Atlantic and Coastal divisions?
Florida State president Eric Barron has suggested a more natural geographical alignment plan, with Georgia Tech moving into the Atlantic division, where FSU already sits. His suggestion is, of course, mostly for the gain of his own program. At present, Seminoles fans have no divisional rivals in driving distance. Clemson is the nearest, and it’s 125 miles away from Tallahassee. Seems he’d rather fancy a regular visit to the bright lights of Atlanta instead.
David Teel of the Hampton Roads Daily Press doesn’t think it’s likely to happen, but he went ahead and took up the argument for argument’s sake, realigning the divisions in a way that could make more logical sense for the travel scheme:
But who would move from the Atlantic to Coastal, and how would the switches affect permanent crossover partners as Syracuse and Pittsburgh prepare to join the league?
It’s certainly not perfect — FSU to Syracuse and BC is still quite a haul — but it’s a good take on an issue that’s sure to come up again and again.
Food for thought, as the breakers continue to roll in from the realignment tsunami.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)