Jun 16, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT
Assuming that no other schools plan to leave or join the Atlantic Coast Conference in the next few months, the question remains: given the expansion that the conference has gone through recently — adding Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the Big East, will there be any realignment of the Atlantic and Coastal divisions?
Florida State president Eric Barron has suggested a more natural geographical alignment plan, with Georgia Tech moving into the Atlantic division, where FSU already sits. His suggestion is, of course, mostly for the gain of his own program. At present, Seminoles fans have no divisional rivals in driving distance. Clemson is the nearest, and it’s 125 miles away from Tallahassee. Seems he’d rather fancy a regular visit to the bright lights of Atlanta instead.
David Teel of the Hampton Roads Daily Press doesn’t think it’s likely to happen, but he went ahead and took up the argument for argument’s sake, realigning the divisions in a way that could make more logical sense for the travel scheme:
But who would move from the Atlantic to Coastal, and how would the switches affect permanent crossover partners as Syracuse and Pittsburgh prepare to join the league?
It’s certainly not perfect — FSU to Syracuse and BC is still quite a haul — but it’s a good take on an issue that’s sure to come up again and again.
Food for thought, as the breakers continue to roll in from the realignment tsunami.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)