Jun 16, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT
Assuming that no other schools plan to leave or join the Atlantic Coast Conference in the next few months, the question remains: given the expansion that the conference has gone through recently — adding Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the Big East, will there be any realignment of the Atlantic and Coastal divisions?
Florida State president Eric Barron has suggested a more natural geographical alignment plan, with Georgia Tech moving into the Atlantic division, where FSU already sits. His suggestion is, of course, mostly for the gain of his own program. At present, Seminoles fans have no divisional rivals in driving distance. Clemson is the nearest, and it’s 125 miles away from Tallahassee. Seems he’d rather fancy a regular visit to the bright lights of Atlanta instead.
David Teel of the Hampton Roads Daily Press doesn’t think it’s likely to happen, but he went ahead and took up the argument for argument’s sake, realigning the divisions in a way that could make more logical sense for the travel scheme:
But who would move from the Atlantic to Coastal, and how would the switches affect permanent crossover partners as Syracuse and Pittsburgh prepare to join the league?
It’s certainly not perfect — FSU to Syracuse and BC is still quite a haul — but it’s a good take on an issue that’s sure to come up again and again.
Food for thought, as the breakers continue to roll in from the realignment tsunami.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)