Jun 17, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Towson coach Pat Skerry landed an important commitment Saturday night, as Vermont transfer Four McGlynn pledged his name to the Tigers, Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com is reporting.
McGlynn led Vermont to a 24-12 record last season, which included an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament, after defeating Stony Brook in the America East tournament championship.
He averaged 12 points per game last season to lead the team, despite coming off the bench for the Catamounts.
News first leaked two weeks ago that McGlynn was seeking a transfer, and was granted his release this week under the condition that he would not transfer to another school in America East or to George Washington.
He reportedly chose the Tigers over Virginia Commonwealth, Duquesne, LaSalle, Penn State, and Central Connecticut.
McGlynn, a 6-2 native or York, Pa., shot about the same percentage from three-point range as he did from the field during his freshman season at Vermont, close to 38%.
Towson finished with just one win in 2011-12, going 1-31 overall, including 1-17 in the CAA. The team set an NCAA record this past season by losing 41 straight games, dating back to 2010-11.
The streak was broken with a late-January win over UNC-Wilmington.
The Tigers have six players joining the team from the Class of 2012, led by 6-3 guard Jerome Hairston and former Virginia-state leading scorer Frank Mason.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)