Jun 17, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
Towson coach Pat Skerry landed an important commitment Saturday night, as Vermont transfer Four McGlynn pledged his name to the Tigers, Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com is reporting.
McGlynn led Vermont to a 24-12 record last season, which included an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament, after defeating Stony Brook in the America East tournament championship.
He averaged 12 points per game last season to lead the team, despite coming off the bench for the Catamounts.
News first leaked two weeks ago that McGlynn was seeking a transfer, and was granted his release this week under the condition that he would not transfer to another school in America East or to George Washington.
He reportedly chose the Tigers over Virginia Commonwealth, Duquesne, LaSalle, Penn State, and Central Connecticut.
McGlynn, a 6-2 native or York, Pa., shot about the same percentage from three-point range as he did from the field during his freshman season at Vermont, close to 38%.
Towson finished with just one win in 2011-12, going 1-31 overall, including 1-17 in the CAA. The team set an NCAA record this past season by losing 41 straight games, dating back to 2010-11.
The streak was broken with a late-January win over UNC-Wilmington.
The Tigers have six players joining the team from the Class of 2012, led by 6-3 guard Jerome Hairston and former Virginia-state leading scorer Frank Mason.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (2)