Jun 18, 2012, 7:09 PM EDT
Jerry Wainwright, the former coach of three Division I programs including, most recently, DePaul, has been hired by Buzz Williams to become Marquette’s director of basketball operations, the school announced Monday.
“I have known coach since early in my career and have always been humbled by his willingness to share wisdom with me as I have advanced,” Williams said in a statement. “I never knew as we were building our relationship, that an opportunity like this would ever materialize, but I am very grateful that it has.”
Wainwright struggled in his final two seasons with DePaul, going 0-21 in the Big East over that span, before being fired in 2010. He spent this past season as the associate head coach at Fresno State, with the Bulldogs going 13-20 overall.
Prior to DePaul, Wainwright was the head coach at UNC-Wilmington and Richmond, where he made three NCAA tournament appearances in eleven seasons.
Marquette is coming off a season in which it finished 27-8, including 14-4 in the Big East. The Golden Eagles advanced to the Sweet 16 before being eliminated by Florida.
In 2012-13, they will need to compensate for the loss of two key seniors: Darius Johnson-Odom and Big East Player of the Year Jae Crowder.
The duo accounted for nearly 50% of the team’s scoring output this past season.
Williams brings in a three players from the Class of 2012, led by four-star guard Steve Taylor.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)