Jun 18, 2012, 7:09 PM EST
Jerry Wainwright, the former coach of three Division I programs including, most recently, DePaul, has been hired by Buzz Williams to become Marquette’s director of basketball operations, the school announced Monday.
“I have known coach since early in my career and have always been humbled by his willingness to share wisdom with me as I have advanced,” Williams said in a statement. “I never knew as we were building our relationship, that an opportunity like this would ever materialize, but I am very grateful that it has.”
Wainwright struggled in his final two seasons with DePaul, going 0-21 in the Big East over that span, before being fired in 2010. He spent this past season as the associate head coach at Fresno State, with the Bulldogs going 13-20 overall.
Prior to DePaul, Wainwright was the head coach at UNC-Wilmington and Richmond, where he made three NCAA tournament appearances in eleven seasons.
Marquette is coming off a season in which it finished 27-8, including 14-4 in the Big East. The Golden Eagles advanced to the Sweet 16 before being eliminated by Florida.
In 2012-13, they will need to compensate for the loss of two key seniors: Darius Johnson-Odom and Big East Player of the Year Jae Crowder.
The duo accounted for nearly 50% of the team’s scoring output this past season.
Williams brings in a three players from the Class of 2012, led by four-star guard Steve Taylor.
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 0
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)