Jun 18, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
Notre Dame enjoyed the first decade so much, they’ve signed on for another.
After 12 seasons as head coach of the Fighting Irish, Mike Brey has signed a 10-year extension to remain in South Bend, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
The agreement is expected to be announced at a press conference Tuesday.
Over his time with Notre Dame, Brey has amassed an overall record of 259-130, leading the Irish to eight NCAA tournament appearances and nine 20-win seasons.
Considering the circumstances, Notre Dame finished with a solid 22-12 record this past season, playing all but two games without senior Tim Abromaitis, who tore his ACL early in the year.
The one knock that continues to follow Brey is his team’s inability to make deep runs in the postseason. Though the Irish have made eight NCAA tournament appearances under his watch, they have advanced to the Sweet 16 only once since he took over head coaching duties in 2000.
Senior Scott Martin was granted a sixth year of eligibility this spring, which means he will lead a group in 2012-13 that includes all five starters from this past season, along with three incoming freshmen.
Top 100 prospect Cameron Biedschied leads the freshman, and the Irish will also add 6-10 Michigan State transfer Garrick Sherman, who will be eligible to begin the 2012-13 season.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1