Jun 18, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
St. John’s assistant coach Mike Dunlap has been hired as the next head coach of the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats, NBCSports.com has confirmed.
Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer was the first to report the news.
Dunlap has been with St. John’s for the past two seasons, brought onto the staff with the hiring of head coach Steve Lavin in May 2010.
He served as the head coach for much of the 2011-12 season, as Lavin recovered from prostate cancer surgery.
Regarded as one of the better X’s and O’s coaches in the country, Dunlap will be the head of a Charlotte team that finished with the worst record in the NBA this season.
He has experience at the NBA level, having been an assistant coach under George Karl with the Denver Nuggets for two seasons.
“Mike Dunlap absolutely elevates every player and team he comes into contact with,” Karl said of Dunlap. “He is our guy. He will take you from good to great. Name any top-level, elite coach in the game – the only difference between Mike and them is their address. There is no higher level of coaching ability than his. There is absolutely no one better.”
Collegiately, he has made stops at Arizona, Iowa, Southern California, California Lutheran, and Oregon, as well as Division II Metro State.
With a historically young team last season, the Red Storm finished 13-19, including 6-12 in the Big East. Freshman Moe Harkless is making the jump to the NBA after just one season, a year in which he averaged 15.3 points and 8.6 rebounds per game.
This leaves St. John’s with a large whole to fill on the bench, now made to fill the place of the team’s best in-game strategist.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)