Jun 19, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Billy Baron is swapping uniforms once again.
The former Virginia Cavalier who transferred to Rhode Island to play for his father, Jim, this past season is leaving Kingston, R.I., and looking to transfer for the second time in his college career, the school announced Tuesday.
“We wish Billy the best as he continues his college basketball career,” head coach Dan Hurley said in a release. “We think the world of him as a player and a person.”
Jim Baron was fired after a 7-24 finish this past season and was replaced by the former Wagner coach Hurley.
The younger Baron will likely seek a waiver to play right away, considering the NCAA has set a precedent with this type of situation, granting a waiver to Central Michigan transfer Trey Zeigler after his father was fired at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season.
Zeigler will be eligible to play right away at Pittsburgh.
Baron played considerably more minutes for his father this year than he did as a freshman at Virginia, while boosting his production as well.
Playing over 32 minutes per game once he became eligible after the first semester, Baron averaged 13.0 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.
The possibility has been raised that Baron could transfer to Canisius College in Buffalo, N.Y., where his father was recently hired as the head coach.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)