Jun 19, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Billy Baron is swapping uniforms once again.
The former Virginia Cavalier who transferred to Rhode Island to play for his father, Jim, this past season is leaving Kingston, R.I., and looking to transfer for the second time in his college career, the school announced Tuesday.
“We wish Billy the best as he continues his college basketball career,” head coach Dan Hurley said in a release. “We think the world of him as a player and a person.”
Jim Baron was fired after a 7-24 finish this past season and was replaced by the former Wagner coach Hurley.
The younger Baron will likely seek a waiver to play right away, considering the NCAA has set a precedent with this type of situation, granting a waiver to Central Michigan transfer Trey Zeigler after his father was fired at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season.
Zeigler will be eligible to play right away at Pittsburgh.
Baron played considerably more minutes for his father this year than he did as a freshman at Virginia, while boosting his production as well.
Playing over 32 minutes per game once he became eligible after the first semester, Baron averaged 13.0 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.
The possibility has been raised that Baron could transfer to Canisius College in Buffalo, N.Y., where his father was recently hired as the head coach.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (77)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)