Jun 19, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Billy Baron is swapping uniforms once again.
The former Virginia Cavalier who transferred to Rhode Island to play for his father, Jim, this past season is leaving Kingston, R.I., and looking to transfer for the second time in his college career, the school announced Tuesday.
“We wish Billy the best as he continues his college basketball career,” head coach Dan Hurley said in a release. “We think the world of him as a player and a person.”
Jim Baron was fired after a 7-24 finish this past season and was replaced by the former Wagner coach Hurley.
The younger Baron will likely seek a waiver to play right away, considering the NCAA has set a precedent with this type of situation, granting a waiver to Central Michigan transfer Trey Zeigler after his father was fired at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season.
Zeigler will be eligible to play right away at Pittsburgh.
Baron played considerably more minutes for his father this year than he did as a freshman at Virginia, while boosting his production as well.
Playing over 32 minutes per game once he became eligible after the first semester, Baron averaged 13.0 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.
The possibility has been raised that Baron could transfer to Canisius College in Buffalo, N.Y., where his father was recently hired as the head coach.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)