Jun 19, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Billy Baron is swapping uniforms once again.
The former Virginia Cavalier who transferred to Rhode Island to play for his father, Jim, this past season is leaving Kingston, R.I., and looking to transfer for the second time in his college career, the school announced Tuesday.
“We wish Billy the best as he continues his college basketball career,” head coach Dan Hurley said in a release. “We think the world of him as a player and a person.”
Jim Baron was fired after a 7-24 finish this past season and was replaced by the former Wagner coach Hurley.
The younger Baron will likely seek a waiver to play right away, considering the NCAA has set a precedent with this type of situation, granting a waiver to Central Michigan transfer Trey Zeigler after his father was fired at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season.
Zeigler will be eligible to play right away at Pittsburgh.
Baron played considerably more minutes for his father this year than he did as a freshman at Virginia, while boosting his production as well.
Playing over 32 minutes per game once he became eligible after the first semester, Baron averaged 13.0 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.
The possibility has been raised that Baron could transfer to Canisius College in Buffalo, N.Y., where his father was recently hired as the head coach.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)