Jun 19, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Billy Baron is swapping uniforms once again.
The former Virginia Cavalier who transferred to Rhode Island to play for his father, Jim, this past season is leaving Kingston, R.I., and looking to transfer for the second time in his college career, the school announced Tuesday.
“We wish Billy the best as he continues his college basketball career,” head coach Dan Hurley said in a release. “We think the world of him as a player and a person.”
Jim Baron was fired after a 7-24 finish this past season and was replaced by the former Wagner coach Hurley.
The younger Baron will likely seek a waiver to play right away, considering the NCAA has set a precedent with this type of situation, granting a waiver to Central Michigan transfer Trey Zeigler after his father was fired at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season.
Zeigler will be eligible to play right away at Pittsburgh.
Baron played considerably more minutes for his father this year than he did as a freshman at Virginia, while boosting his production as well.
Playing over 32 minutes per game once he became eligible after the first semester, Baron averaged 13.0 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.
The possibility has been raised that Baron could transfer to Canisius College in Buffalo, N.Y., where his father was recently hired as the head coach.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)