Jun 20, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
Johnny Jones, now settled in as head coach at LSU, is building his staff with the Tigers.
The school announced Wednesday that Jones has hired NBA scout David Patrick to join the LSU coaching staff as an assistant.
“[Patrick] will not only be able to help us with game planning and practice preparation, but we look forward to him helping to raise our level of recruiting at LSU, both regionally as well as nationally,” said Jones in a statement. “With his background in both Division I and professional basketball, he brings a level of experience to our program that will help us to move forward.”
Patrick worked most recently as a scout for the Houston Rockets, and has previously held positions on staff at St. Mary’s (Calif.) and Nicholls State.
He has experience playing at the collegiate level, having been a member of the 1996 Syracuse team that finished as a runner-up to the national championship. He then transferred to UL-Lafayette where he played for three seasons.
The Tigers finished 18-15 this past season, including 7-9 in the SEC. Top scorer and rebounder Justin Hamilton is headed to the NBA draft, which means more will be expected of rising sophomore Johnny O’Bryant, who averaged 8.4 points and 6.9 rebounds per game in his freshman season.
LSU welcomes five newcomers from the Class of 2012, led by guard Malik Morgan.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte