Jun 20, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
In recent days, Kansas State and Iowa State turned their attention to recruiting the 2013 class, and were rewarded with their first verbal commitments in those classes.
Iowa State struck in Wisconsin, landing sharpshooter Matt Thomas, a 6-4 swish machine. Thomas came down to Virginia and Iowa State, before deciding to go with the Mayor (coach Fred Hoiberg). There’s a more than solid chance that Thomas will end up as a top-100 prospect in the class, mostly due to his long-range shooting expertise, which will be helpful for the Cyclones.
Meanwhile, it seems as if Kansas State struck with 6-6 wing forward Alex Etherington, the younger brother of Indiana guard Austin Etherington. The younger Etherington is said to be a good athlete, with a close to college ready frame. He didn’t have many scholarship offers, but if the reviews regarding his play are true, Kansas State bought his stock on the way up.
This is the stage in the recruiting cycle where college programs can pick up verbal commitments from their primary targets prior to the July evaluation period, where they will be widely seen. Going into July with one or more recruits in hand can relieve some pressure on the coaches, provided the players live up to expectations while they face off against other prospects.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte