Jun 20, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
Of the 345 teams in Division I basketball, there aren’t many that look like they are in a worse position than Towson.
Pat Skerry’s club is coming off of a season where the 1-31 Tigers were the only team in the country that didn’t win at least two games. Robert Nwankwo (who averaged a double-double last season) is graduating. If that wasn’t bad enough, Towson is one of ten programs nationally that won’t be allowed to participate in postseason play this season due to their poor APR scores.
But, believe it or not, Towson looks like they are heading in the right direction.
Skerry has spent just 14 months on the job, but he’s already landed a very solid incoming class. In addition to the trio of Big East cast-offs he has getting eligible this season — junior Jerelle Benimon (Georgetown), senior Bilal Dixon (Providence) and junior Mike Burwell (South Florida) — Skerry landed a recruiting class that was ranked 12th amongst the non-BCS programs by CBSSports.com. That class is headlined by talented back court players Jerome Hairston and Frank Mason.
And now, Towson is throwing Four McGlynn into the mix. McGlynn is the reigning America East Freshman of the Year, but opted to leave Vermont to transfer closer to his family in York, PA. (Interestingly enough, Skerry will not be applying for a waiver to get McGlynn eligible immediately. The waiver would have had a decent chance to go through given the circumstances, which makes you wonder what, exactly, the reason is.)
The rebuilding of Towson is still a ways from completion, but with Skerry’s recruiting chops and the talent that has already been brought into the program, the Tigers are currently ahead of the curve. With Old Dominion and VCU leaving the CAA, it may not be that long before Towson is competing with George Mason and Drexel (and Davidson and the College of Charleston?) for league titles.
Which means it may not be long before Skerry has a job in a bigger conference.
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)