Jun 20, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
The St. John’s staff has welcomed the positives that come along with sending a coach to the NBA, but there now comes the less glamorous side of the departure: realizing his importance and finding a replacement.
For his two seasons in Queens, Dunlap was Lavin’s in-game tactician, spending much of the 2011-12 season filling in for him as head coach, while Lavin recovered from prostate surgery.
From an X’s-and-O’s standpoint, Dunlap was one of the best in the country at the college level and, with assistant Tony Chiles, who is the Red Storm’s recruiting go-to man, and Rico Hines, who can recruit and develop talent, it would seem likely that St. John’s would look for another Dunlap-type coach to fill his spot.
The Former Players
Lavin could bring someone with ties to his former employer, UCLA, to fill the gap, which, according to Zagoria could Gerald Madkins. Madkins has served in the New Orleans Hornets’ front office and as a college assistant.
He could also go with Earl Watson, one of his former players at UCLA, who, as a recruiter, could pitch Lavin’s ability to move players to the NBA. Watson, 33, played for the Utah Jazz last season.
The TV Analysts
Rothstein and Zagoria both mention Paul Biancardi, the former Wright State coach who now works as a national recruiting analyst for ESPN. He could, again, work well as a recruiter, as he has connections at the grassroots and high school level.
Tim O’Toole is also mentioned. O’Toole served as Fairfield’s head coach from 1998-2006 and is now a college basketball analyst for ESPN.
Barry Rohrssen, Former Manhattan coach
Tom Abatemarco, Colorado assistant coach
Frank Allocco, De La Salle head coach
Jim Boylen, Indiana Pacers assistant; former Utah head coach
Tim Grgurich, Former NBA assistant coach
Darrick Martin, Former UCLA and NBA player
Lane Odom, Former college assistant
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings