Jun 21, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Ben Howland has a top three recruiting class in 2012, led by guard Shabazz Muhammad, and a commitment Wednesday night got his UCLA program off to a good start for 2013.
Zach LaVine, a Top 100 guard from Bothell, Wash., has pledged his name to the Bruins and becomes Howland’s first recruit from the Class of 2013.
“It just made sense to do it now and get it over with,” LaVine told MaxPreps.com. “It was a great opportunity to be down there with my family again. The campus is beautiful and the coaches are great.”
LaVine also held offers from Gonzaga, Louisville, Washington State, and Washington. His stock has been rising so far in the spring and should continue to gain traction as the summer progresses.
This commitment marks the next step in the turnaround at UCLA, just months after an unflattering article shed a negative light on the program.
Now Howland, armed with a 2012 recruiting class of New Jersey guard Kyle Anderson, power forward Tony Parker, swingman Jordan Adams, and the aforementioned Muhammad, the Bruins have built for the present and are building for the future, as well.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)