Jun 21, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Ben Howland has a top three recruiting class in 2012, led by guard Shabazz Muhammad, and a commitment Wednesday night got his UCLA program off to a good start for 2013.
Zach LaVine, a Top 100 guard from Bothell, Wash., has pledged his name to the Bruins and becomes Howland’s first recruit from the Class of 2013.
“It just made sense to do it now and get it over with,” LaVine told MaxPreps.com. “It was a great opportunity to be down there with my family again. The campus is beautiful and the coaches are great.”
LaVine also held offers from Gonzaga, Louisville, Washington State, and Washington. His stock has been rising so far in the spring and should continue to gain traction as the summer progresses.
This commitment marks the next step in the turnaround at UCLA, just months after an unflattering article shed a negative light on the program.
Now Howland, armed with a 2012 recruiting class of New Jersey guard Kyle Anderson, power forward Tony Parker, swingman Jordan Adams, and the aforementioned Muhammad, the Bruins have built for the present and are building for the future, as well.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)