Jun 21, 2012, 2:05 PM EST
A trend is developing at Louisville, and it’s not one with which Rick Pitino may want his name associated.
Rakeem Buckles, a 6-7, 215-pound forward who will miss the 2012-13 season with a torn ACL, is transferring from the Cardinal program and will join head coach Richard Pitino, a former Louisville assistant, at Florida International.
The injury he suffered in January was the latest in a series of setbacks for Buckles, which included a concussion, a broken index finger, and another major knee injury.
“Rakeem is one of my favorites during my tenure at Louisville,” said Pitino in a Louisville press release. “He’s just a fantastic young man who we wish great success at FIU. We will miss his personality and work ethic, but he is in good hands with Richard.”
But the developing trend is this: Buckles is the third injury-plagued player to transfer from Louisville this season, following Stephan Van Treese and Jared Swopshire out the door.
Van Treese had trouble with a knee injury, and his convenient transfer opened up a scholarship for top-level 2012 recruit Montrezl Harrell, who decommitted from Virginia Tech and joined the Cardinals this spring. Swopshire worked back from a few different injuries, and is now headed to Northwestern.
The silver lining of Buckles’ transfer is that he will be able to head back home to the Miami area, where he was the Class 4A State Player of the Year as a senior at Monsignor Pace (Fla.).
This past season with Louisville, he averaged 4.0 points and 3.8 rebounds in 11 games.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)