Jun 22, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
Shammond Williams, who was a member of two Final Four teams at North Carolina, joined Jeff Jackson’s coaching staff at Furman earlier this week.
Williams, who just finished a 13-year professional career in the NBA and Europe, has wanted to coach after his playing career ended and was one of the options considered by Roy Williams to replace Jerod Haase at UNC.
Hubert Davis, who also played at UNC, was eventually hired in Chapel Hill but coach Williams did make it known that he believed Shammond would be a successful coach.
When UNC head coach Roy Williams announced last month the hiring of Hubert Davis as a new assistant coach, he specifically said Shammond Williams was among “a fabulous group” of candidates, adding that Williams “is going to be great when his time comes.”
Shammond’s time has come now, and his experience at the collegiate and professional levels should help the Furman program as the Paladins look to improve on their 15-16 2011-12 campaign.
Leading scorer Brandon Sebirumbi moves on but guards Richard Brown (8.5 ppg, 3.0 apg) and Charlie Reddick (10.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg) are back and they stand to gain a great deal from learning from a coach with the playing experience that Williams possesses.
“We are really excited about adding Shammond Williams to our staff,” said Jackson in the school release.
“His experience as a student-athlete, professional and great ambassador for the Greenville community will impact our staff in a positive fashion. We are looking forward to working with him.”
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments