Jun 22, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
For some the most famous race car driver to be associated with Kentucky basketball is Dario Franchitti, and the reason for that is his marriage to actress (and huge UK fan) Ashley Judd.
But NASCAR driver Michael Waltrip, a native of the Bluegrass State, is a diehard Wildcat fan who will honor the reigning national champs with a new paint job.
According to WYMT, Waltrip and sponsor Aaron’s will go with a blue and white paint scheme for his car during the Sprint Cup race at Kentucky Speedway.
“Like everyone in Kentucky I grew up watching UK basketball. That’s just what we did. We raced cars and watched basketball. I guess it’s part of the culture,” Waltrip said. “I can’t tell you how thankful I am to Aaron’s for combining NASCAR and UK basketball for the weekend.
“I think they’ll bring the national championship trophy to the Aaron’s display at the track. I’d love to give the UK folks another trophy to take back to Lexington after the race.”
Waltrip gets to pay homage to his favorite team while also giving the home fans a show that he hopes ends with a victory.
But while this is a nice tribute it’s tough to think this surpasses showing one’s affection for the Wildcats with the use of cereal.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 12
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel