Jun 23, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
It took Juwan Howard 18 years, but he finally won an NBA title. Not only is it the first title for him, but it’s the first title for the famed “Fab Five” of Michigan in the early 1990s.
Of those five (Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Jimmy King, Ray Jackson, and Howard) three had lengthy NBA careers, but only Howard has been able to bring home a title.
Granted, Howard wasn’t necessarily the reason Miami won the title, considering he’s 39 years old and averaged under seven minutes per game, but he was on a team that won it, none-the-less.
Webber was cursed by having to deal with Shaquille O’Neal and the Lakers during his prime early-2000 days, and Rose fell victim to those same Lakers in the 2000 NBA Finals.
Howard hasn’t played regular minutes since 2009-10 with Portland, but he was a veteran on a Heat team that made use of his experience.
As for the rest of the Fab Five, Rose and Webber are both NBA analysts now, Jackson owns a non-profit organization, and King has battled some legal troubles after a long playing career abroad.
A well-done documentary about the Fab Five aired last year to much critical acclaim, which should help to preserve the rarity of the talented collection of youth at Michigan during the Fab Five era.
Their coach, Stever Fisher, is now at San Diego State, helping to build a contender out West. After surprising people two years ago, led by now-San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard, Fisher kept the momentum going last season and is poised to have another contending team in 2012-13.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 2
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)