Jun 23, 2012, 1:06 PM EST
It took Juwan Howard 18 years, but he finally won an NBA title. Not only is it the first title for him, but it’s the first title for the famed “Fab Five” of Michigan in the early 1990s.
Of those five (Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Jimmy King, Ray Jackson, and Howard) three had lengthy NBA careers, but only Howard has been able to bring home a title.
Granted, Howard wasn’t necessarily the reason Miami won the title, considering he’s 39 years old and averaged under seven minutes per game, but he was on a team that won it, none-the-less.
Webber was cursed by having to deal with Shaquille O’Neal and the Lakers during his prime early-2000 days, and Rose fell victim to those same Lakers in the 2000 NBA Finals.
Howard hasn’t played regular minutes since 2009-10 with Portland, but he was a veteran on a Heat team that made use of his experience.
As for the rest of the Fab Five, Rose and Webber are both NBA analysts now, Jackson owns a non-profit organization, and King has battled some legal troubles after a long playing career abroad.
A well-done documentary about the Fab Five aired last year to much critical acclaim, which should help to preserve the rarity of the talented collection of youth at Michigan during the Fab Five era.
Their coach, Stever Fisher, is now at San Diego State, helping to build a contender out West. After surprising people two years ago, led by now-San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard, Fisher kept the momentum going last season and is poised to have another contending team in 2012-13.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)