Jun 23, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
It took Juwan Howard 18 years, but he finally won an NBA title. Not only is it the first title for him, but it’s the first title for the famed “Fab Five” of Michigan in the early 1990s.
Of those five (Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Jimmy King, Ray Jackson, and Howard) three had lengthy NBA careers, but only Howard has been able to bring home a title.
Granted, Howard wasn’t necessarily the reason Miami won the title, considering he’s 39 years old and averaged under seven minutes per game, but he was on a team that won it, none-the-less.
Webber was cursed by having to deal with Shaquille O’Neal and the Lakers during his prime early-2000 days, and Rose fell victim to those same Lakers in the 2000 NBA Finals.
Howard hasn’t played regular minutes since 2009-10 with Portland, but he was a veteran on a Heat team that made use of his experience.
As for the rest of the Fab Five, Rose and Webber are both NBA analysts now, Jackson owns a non-profit organization, and King has battled some legal troubles after a long playing career abroad.
A well-done documentary about the Fab Five aired last year to much critical acclaim, which should help to preserve the rarity of the talented collection of youth at Michigan during the Fab Five era.
Their coach, Stever Fisher, is now at San Diego State, helping to build a contender out West. After surprising people two years ago, led by now-San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard, Fisher kept the momentum going last season and is poised to have another contending team in 2012-13.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)