Jun 23, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
It took Juwan Howard 18 years, but he finally won an NBA title. Not only is it the first title for him, but it’s the first title for the famed “Fab Five” of Michigan in the early 1990s.
Of those five (Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Jimmy King, Ray Jackson, and Howard) three had lengthy NBA careers, but only Howard has been able to bring home a title.
Granted, Howard wasn’t necessarily the reason Miami won the title, considering he’s 39 years old and averaged under seven minutes per game, but he was on a team that won it, none-the-less.
Webber was cursed by having to deal with Shaquille O’Neal and the Lakers during his prime early-2000 days, and Rose fell victim to those same Lakers in the 2000 NBA Finals.
Howard hasn’t played regular minutes since 2009-10 with Portland, but he was a veteran on a Heat team that made use of his experience.
As for the rest of the Fab Five, Rose and Webber are both NBA analysts now, Jackson owns a non-profit organization, and King has battled some legal troubles after a long playing career abroad.
A well-done documentary about the Fab Five aired last year to much critical acclaim, which should help to preserve the rarity of the talented collection of youth at Michigan during the Fab Five era.
Their coach, Stever Fisher, is now at San Diego State, helping to build a contender out West. After surprising people two years ago, led by now-San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard, Fisher kept the momentum going last season and is poised to have another contending team in 2012-13.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)