Jun 23, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
The Pac 12 overall has been a bit of a disappointment in recent seasons. Even the league’s top teams have performed below expectations. Below even that level is the series of subpar seasons suffered by the Oregon State Beavers, a once-proud program that last made the NCAA tournament in 1990, and last won a game in the Big Dance in 1982.
Head coach Craig Robinson has made some strides in recent seasons in his quest to return the Beavs to glory, posting a 21-win season with the help of NBA hopeful Jared Cunningham in 2012. Last Thursday, the OSU program moved toward the future with a nod to the past, as Beaver legends AC Green and Gary Payton helped break ground on a new four-story, 34,500-square foot, $15 million practice facility.
The new facility will have two regulation courts, an OSU basketball Hall of Fame, weight rooms, locker rooms, meeting rooms, lounges and offices.
The facility won’t immediately close the gap between Oregon State and the rest of the league, but it will go a long ways toward catching them up with in-state rival Oregon, which opened fancy-schmancy Matthew Knight arena last season.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team