Jun 24, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
Former Top 100 center Michael Chandler has signed with Northwest Florida State, a junior college in Niceville, Fla., the school announced Saturday.
Chandler, who was originally a member of the Class of 2011, did not enroll in school during the 2011-12 year and will now spend two years at NWF.
Qualifying academically has been the biggest obstacle for Chandler, who chooses junior college now and will work toward Division I eligibility over the next two years.
Before signing with Northwest Florida State, he had previously committed to three schools: Louisville, Central Florida, and Xavier.
The Indianapolis, Ind. native had also drawn interest from schools that include Connecticut, St. John’s, Oregon, Indiana, Kentucky, and Oregon.
Northwest Florida State has recently sent three players on to Division I schools: Rod Rucker to UAB, Trency Jackson to Texas Tech, and Neiko Hunter to Middle Tennessee.
Chandler is an especially rare case because of his numerous commitments and reclassification, now landing in junior college.
At 6-10, 225 pounds he has legitimate size to play at the Division I level, but will need to straighten out his academics before he can qualify. Defensively, he could certainly help a team in the low post with his tall, wide frame.
NWF now reportedly has four players from the 2012 class ranked in the Top 125 nationally.
Photo courtesy of the Orlando Sentinel.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)