Jun 24, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
NC State rising junior Lorenzo Brown will have exploratory knee surgery Tuesday, but the severity of the injury is unknown, multiple outlets have reported.
Brown, who averaged 12.7 points, 6.4 assists, and 4.3 rebounds per game in 2011-12, is a key returning starter for a Wolfpack team that advanced to the Sweet 16 this past season.
Because it is unknown exactly what is wrong with Brown’s knee, there is no word on how the injury occurred or the timetable for his return.
On Sunday morning, the website PackInsider.com reported that Brown had injured his meniscus, but the story has since been taken down.
If that report is indeed true, he could be back for the start of the 2012-13 season.
If Brown is available for the beginning of the season, he will join incoming freshmen Rodney Purvis and Tyler Lewis in the backcourt, making for an up-and-coming ensemble in the ACC.
NC State was a surprise in the conference last season, finishing 24-13 overall and sneaking into the NCAA tournament, on its way to making that run to the Sweet 16 before being eliminated by Kansas.
Coach Mark Gottfried’s team is slated as an early favorite in the ACC next season, considering its strong recruiting class and the return of Brown and forward CJ Leslie.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights