Jun 24, 2012, 3:44 PM EDT
The process of handing out hardship waivers has become, to put it nicely, less than predictable.
Western Kentucky center Michael Bradley, who transferred from Connecticut early last month, is the latest case, denied a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately for the Hilltoppers, Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com is reporting.
According to reports at the time of Bradley’s transfer, the Tennessee native’s grandmother was recently diagnosed with cancer. She lives in Chattanooga, with Bradley making the case to the NCAA that his transfer to WKU would allow for easier visitations, but it was not to be.
This denial stands in contrast to the waiver granted to Central Michigan transfer Trey Zeigler, whose father was fired from CMU and the younger Zeigler can now play immediately at Pittsburgh.
Bradley made headlines prior to the beginning of the 2011-12 season when he offered to give up his scholarship, which would allow Connecticut to bring in then-freshman Andre Drummond.
Drummond never ended up taking the scholarship from Bradley, but played one season at Connecticut and is now slated to be a Top 10 pick in the 2012 NBA draft.
Bradley did not play in his two seasons with Connecticut, redshirting his freshman season and suffering an injury during his sophomore year. He brings his 6-10, 225 pound frame to a Western Kentucky team that could make use of his size in the Sun Belt Conference.
This past season, the Hilltoppers finished 16-19 and, despite a losing record in the conference, won the Sun Belt tournament and advanced to the NCAA tournament. They won their First Four game against Mississippi Valley State, but were eliminated by eventual national champion Kentucky.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)