Jun 24, 2012, 3:44 PM EST
The process of handing out hardship waivers has become, to put it nicely, less than predictable.
Western Kentucky center Michael Bradley, who transferred from Connecticut early last month, is the latest case, denied a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately for the Hilltoppers, Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com is reporting.
According to reports at the time of Bradley’s transfer, the Tennessee native’s grandmother was recently diagnosed with cancer. She lives in Chattanooga, with Bradley making the case to the NCAA that his transfer to WKU would allow for easier visitations, but it was not to be.
This denial stands in contrast to the waiver granted to Central Michigan transfer Trey Zeigler, whose father was fired from CMU and the younger Zeigler can now play immediately at Pittsburgh.
Bradley made headlines prior to the beginning of the 2011-12 season when he offered to give up his scholarship, which would allow Connecticut to bring in then-freshman Andre Drummond.
Drummond never ended up taking the scholarship from Bradley, but played one season at Connecticut and is now slated to be a Top 10 pick in the 2012 NBA draft.
Bradley did not play in his two seasons with Connecticut, redshirting his freshman season and suffering an injury during his sophomore year. He brings his 6-10, 225 pound frame to a Western Kentucky team that could make use of his size in the Sun Belt Conference.
This past season, the Hilltoppers finished 16-19 and, despite a losing record in the conference, won the Sun Belt tournament and advanced to the NCAA tournament. They won their First Four game against Mississippi Valley State, but were eliminated by eventual national champion Kentucky.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)