Jun 26, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
People might now “Fear the Brow” because they’ll have to pay royalties to use it.
Soon-to-be No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis has made it official, filing paperwork to trademark two phrases that have helped to shape his on-court persona at Kentucky, Darren Rovell of CNBC is reporting.
“I don’t want anyone to try to grow a unibrow because of me and then try to make money off of it,” Davis told CNBC. “Me and my family decided to trademark it because it’s very unique.”
Along with “Fear the Brow,” Davis has also filed paperwork for “Raise the Brow,” which, like the signature beard of Oklahoma City’s James Harden, it looks like Davis’ intimidating unibrow is a marketing ploy that is here to stay.
In a crowded market of NBA talent vying for sponsorship dollars, anything that can set a player apart, however odd, is worth money. In fact, the more unique, the more valuable it is.
According to Rovell, Davis has one sponsorship locked up for draft night, coming from Sprint, as he’ll be pedaling the company’s Watch Live app.
We already saw shirts and slogans with “brow” references pop up while Davis was at Kentucky and now, as is an indication that Davis is surrounded by some smart businesspeople and freed from the confines of NCAA amateur eligibility rules, he will be funneling those dollars into his own pocket.
Robert Griffin III, a top pick by the Washington Redskins in this year’s NFL draft, made a similar move by trademarking phrases that include “RGIII,” a nickname that gained popularity while he was at Baylor.
Davis averaged 14.3 points, 10.0 rebounds, and 4.7 blocks per game for the national champion Kentucky Wildcats last season and is all but a lock to be the top pick in Thursday’s NBA draft, going to the New Orleans Hornets.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 8
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles