Jun 26, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Just when it looked like Stephan Van Treese was one of three Louisville players to be transferring, the news has changed.
Van Treese will not be leaving the Cardinals’ program, despite the fact that he was granted a release earlier this month, multiple outlets are reporting.
“I said, ‘Stephen, that’s not what this whole thing was about, you need to play,’” coach Rick Pitino told the Louisville Courier-Journal. “If you’re going to sit out, stay at Louisville. It’s silly to sit out again that’s three years without playing. So he agreed and that’s exactly what happened.”
His scholarship had freed up room for Top 100 recruit Montrezl Harrell, who committed to Louisville after decommitting from Virginia Tech, but now it appears Van Treese will be back.
Since the announcement of his intention to transfer, the school announced that forward Rakeem Buckles would be transferring to Florida International to play for former U of L assistant Richard Pitino.
It will now be Buckles’ scholarship opening that gives Harrell a spot on the team in 2012-13.
Van Treese missed all but three games this past season with a left knee injury, but averaged 2.9 points and 3.5 rebounds per game for the Cardinals during his sophomore season in 2010-11.
The Cardinals are coming off a season in which they finished 30-10, including 10-8 in the Big East, and made a run to the Final Four in New Orleans.
Three key pieces of the team are returning in the fall. Peyton Siva, Chane Behanan, and Gorgui Dieng, to go along with the 2012 recruits Harrell and guard Terry Rozier.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)