Jun 27, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
New Colorado State coach Larry Eustachy was hired late in the recruiting cycle, and was only able to sign a pair of players for the 2012-2013 season, though he had a mostly full cupboard left by new Nebraska head man Tim Miles. Following locking up junior college power forward Gerson Santo and Canadian prep guard Joe DeCiman late in the process to next season’s roster, Eustachy and his staff can turn their attention to 2013 recruiting.
The existing roster of experienced rotation members will mostly be graduating following next season, leaving an immediate opportunity for Eustachy to put his stamp on the program through his first full recruiting class. The first pledge for the Rams for 2013 was reported Tuesday evening by the Coloradoan, but it’s a familiar name to followers of high school basketball in the Centennial State. Paris JC (Texas) power forward Marcus Holt reportedly pledged, and he is a high-risk, high-reward player for Colorado State.
Holt was well-traveled in high school, playing at multiple different schools in Colorado and California. It was on the grassroots circuits where he attracted the most attention though, as he played alongside former top-10 recruit Chris Thomas (now Xavier-bound at Chipola JC) for the Colorado Hawks. Holt’s 6-10, 200 pound frame is long and wiry, and represents a gamble worth taking.
The stats for Holt at Paris aren’t impressive at 3 points and rebounds per game, but Holt is a rail thin athlete that can protect the rim. Some stability in a system and intensive skill work could pay dividends for the Rams going forward. The departed coach, Tim Miles, didn’t necessarily add many players like Holt to the Colorado State roster during his time, so it’s interesting to see if Eustachy will take the program in a different direction.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4