Jun 27, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Oregon State carries the unfortunate title of being the major-conference team that has gone the longest without a player getting drafted by and NBA team.
But after 14 long years, it looks like guard Jared Cunningham will break that streak on Thursday night.
The 6-5 guard from Oakland, Calif. is projected to be selected in the second round tomorrow night, which would make him the first Beaver since Corey Benjamin in 1998 to hear his name called on draft night.
Cunningham had his best season at Oregon State in 2011-12, averaging 17.9 points and 3.8 rebounds for a Beaver team that finished 21-15, including 7-11 in the Pac-12. OSU reached the semifinals of the CBI tournament before being eliminated by Washington State.
With Cunningham likely off the board, that now leaves three schools with the title: Penn State, Nebraska, and Northwestern.
As compiled by Jeff Eisenberg over at Yahoo!, all three schools last had a player selected in 1999, with Evan Eschmeyer from Northwestern, Calvin Booth from Penn State, and Venson Hamilton from Nebraska.
Along with Oregon State, St. John’s is another school in the Top 5 that will break the streak Thursday night, with freshman forward Moe Harkless certainly being selected in the first round, perhaps even in the lottery.
To see the complete breakdown of Eisenberg’s list, click here.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)