Jun 27, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Oregon State carries the unfortunate title of being the major-conference team that has gone the longest without a player getting drafted by and NBA team.
But after 14 long years, it looks like guard Jared Cunningham will break that streak on Thursday night.
The 6-5 guard from Oakland, Calif. is projected to be selected in the second round tomorrow night, which would make him the first Beaver since Corey Benjamin in 1998 to hear his name called on draft night.
Cunningham had his best season at Oregon State in 2011-12, averaging 17.9 points and 3.8 rebounds for a Beaver team that finished 21-15, including 7-11 in the Pac-12. OSU reached the semifinals of the CBI tournament before being eliminated by Washington State.
With Cunningham likely off the board, that now leaves three schools with the title: Penn State, Nebraska, and Northwestern.
As compiled by Jeff Eisenberg over at Yahoo!, all three schools last had a player selected in 1999, with Evan Eschmeyer from Northwestern, Calvin Booth from Penn State, and Venson Hamilton from Nebraska.
Along with Oregon State, St. John’s is another school in the Top 5 that will break the streak Thursday night, with freshman forward Moe Harkless certainly being selected in the first round, perhaps even in the lottery.
To see the complete breakdown of Eisenberg’s list, click here.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)