Jun 27, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
As was reported over the weekend, NC State point guard Lorenzo Brown had right knee surgery on Tuesday afternoon.
It wasn’t serious, as Brown — who averaged 12.7 points and 6.2 assists last season — simply needed to have a partially torn meniscus fixed up.
“My understanding is that surgery went well,” coach Mark Gottfried said in a statement released by the school. “The injury was limited to the meniscus. This is temporary setback for Lorenzo. We will be conservative with what we do with Lorenzo moving forward.”
According to the Raliegh News & Observer, the surgery shouldn’t jeopardize Brown being healthy by the time the season rolls around. It could, however, cost him a trip to Spain in early August.
The Wolfpack will be playing five exhibitions against Spanish teams during their trip, but it may behoove NC State as a team if Brown isn’t available. Gottfried has landed a talented recruiting class this team, including back court players Tyler Lewis and Rodney Purvis as well as forward TJ Warren. Without Brown in the lineup — or with him playing limited minutes — that would give more time for Lewis and Purvis to get used to playing with their new team.
NC State does not have a ton of depth on their roster, and getting those talented newcomers used to playing with their new teammates and acclimated to playing the game at this level will be a good thing in the long run.
As will ensuring Brown is healthy by the time the games that matter actually begin.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)