Jun 27, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
As was reported over the weekend, NC State point guard Lorenzo Brown had right knee surgery on Tuesday afternoon.
It wasn’t serious, as Brown — who averaged 12.7 points and 6.2 assists last season — simply needed to have a partially torn meniscus fixed up.
“My understanding is that surgery went well,” coach Mark Gottfried said in a statement released by the school. “The injury was limited to the meniscus. This is temporary setback for Lorenzo. We will be conservative with what we do with Lorenzo moving forward.”
According to the Raliegh News & Observer, the surgery shouldn’t jeopardize Brown being healthy by the time the season rolls around. It could, however, cost him a trip to Spain in early August.
The Wolfpack will be playing five exhibitions against Spanish teams during their trip, but it may behoove NC State as a team if Brown isn’t available. Gottfried has landed a talented recruiting class this team, including back court players Tyler Lewis and Rodney Purvis as well as forward TJ Warren. Without Brown in the lineup — or with him playing limited minutes — that would give more time for Lewis and Purvis to get used to playing with their new team.
NC State does not have a ton of depth on their roster, and getting those talented newcomers used to playing with their new teammates and acclimated to playing the game at this level will be a good thing in the long run.
As will ensuring Brown is healthy by the time the games that matter actually begin.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)