Jun 27, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
As was reported over the weekend, NC State point guard Lorenzo Brown had right knee surgery on Tuesday afternoon.
It wasn’t serious, as Brown — who averaged 12.7 points and 6.2 assists last season — simply needed to have a partially torn meniscus fixed up.
“My understanding is that surgery went well,” coach Mark Gottfried said in a statement released by the school. “The injury was limited to the meniscus. This is temporary setback for Lorenzo. We will be conservative with what we do with Lorenzo moving forward.”
According to the Raliegh News & Observer, the surgery shouldn’t jeopardize Brown being healthy by the time the season rolls around. It could, however, cost him a trip to Spain in early August.
The Wolfpack will be playing five exhibitions against Spanish teams during their trip, but it may behoove NC State as a team if Brown isn’t available. Gottfried has landed a talented recruiting class this team, including back court players Tyler Lewis and Rodney Purvis as well as forward TJ Warren. Without Brown in the lineup — or with him playing limited minutes — that would give more time for Lewis and Purvis to get used to playing with their new team.
NC State does not have a ton of depth on their roster, and getting those talented newcomers used to playing with their new teammates and acclimated to playing the game at this level will be a good thing in the long run.
As will ensuring Brown is healthy by the time the games that matter actually begin.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)