Jun 27, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
As was reported over the weekend, NC State point guard Lorenzo Brown had right knee surgery on Tuesday afternoon.
It wasn’t serious, as Brown — who averaged 12.7 points and 6.2 assists last season — simply needed to have a partially torn meniscus fixed up.
“My understanding is that surgery went well,” coach Mark Gottfried said in a statement released by the school. “The injury was limited to the meniscus. This is temporary setback for Lorenzo. We will be conservative with what we do with Lorenzo moving forward.”
According to the Raliegh News & Observer, the surgery shouldn’t jeopardize Brown being healthy by the time the season rolls around. It could, however, cost him a trip to Spain in early August.
The Wolfpack will be playing five exhibitions against Spanish teams during their trip, but it may behoove NC State as a team if Brown isn’t available. Gottfried has landed a talented recruiting class this team, including back court players Tyler Lewis and Rodney Purvis as well as forward TJ Warren. Without Brown in the lineup — or with him playing limited minutes — that would give more time for Lewis and Purvis to get used to playing with their new team.
NC State does not have a ton of depth on their roster, and getting those talented newcomers used to playing with their new teammates and acclimated to playing the game at this level will be a good thing in the long run.
As will ensuring Brown is healthy by the time the games that matter actually begin.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)