Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
Former Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine needed everything to fall his way to sneak into the second round of Thursday’s NBA draft, but his hopes were dealt a blow last Friday.
During a workout with the Utah Jazz, Jardine broke a bone in his right foot after coming down awkwardly and landed on former Mississippi State guard Dee Bost.
“I came down and it just popped,’’ Jardine told the Syracuse Post-Standard by phone. “I tried to finish the workout and I couldn’t put any pressure on it. They shut me down.’’
He underwent surgery yesterday and is expected to take six to eight weeks to recover.
“I’m trying to stay positive,’’ the Philadelphia native said. He reportedly laughed and said, “I’ll probably be able to jump after this.’’
Jardine averaged 8.9 points and 4.9 assists per game last season for Syracuse, helping to lead the Orange to a 34-4 record and a berth in the Elite Eight.
He was already working out with teams in hopes that one would roll the dice on him in the late second round, but this injury likely forces him to make a roster as a free agent. The injury will also keep him out of the NBA Summer League, which could make the road to the NBA that much tougher for Jardine.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 1
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)