Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
Former Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine needed everything to fall his way to sneak into the second round of Thursday’s NBA draft, but his hopes were dealt a blow last Friday.
During a workout with the Utah Jazz, Jardine broke a bone in his right foot after coming down awkwardly and landed on former Mississippi State guard Dee Bost.
“I came down and it just popped,’’ Jardine told the Syracuse Post-Standard by phone. “I tried to finish the workout and I couldn’t put any pressure on it. They shut me down.’’
He underwent surgery yesterday and is expected to take six to eight weeks to recover.
“I’m trying to stay positive,’’ the Philadelphia native said. He reportedly laughed and said, “I’ll probably be able to jump after this.’’
Jardine averaged 8.9 points and 4.9 assists per game last season for Syracuse, helping to lead the Orange to a 34-4 record and a berth in the Elite Eight.
He was already working out with teams in hopes that one would roll the dice on him in the late second round, but this injury likely forces him to make a roster as a free agent. The injury will also keep him out of the NBA Summer League, which could make the road to the NBA that much tougher for Jardine.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)