Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
Former Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine needed everything to fall his way to sneak into the second round of Thursday’s NBA draft, but his hopes were dealt a blow last Friday.
During a workout with the Utah Jazz, Jardine broke a bone in his right foot after coming down awkwardly and landed on former Mississippi State guard Dee Bost.
“I came down and it just popped,’’ Jardine told the Syracuse Post-Standard by phone. “I tried to finish the workout and I couldn’t put any pressure on it. They shut me down.’’
He underwent surgery yesterday and is expected to take six to eight weeks to recover.
“I’m trying to stay positive,’’ the Philadelphia native said. He reportedly laughed and said, “I’ll probably be able to jump after this.’’
Jardine averaged 8.9 points and 4.9 assists per game last season for Syracuse, helping to lead the Orange to a 34-4 record and a berth in the Elite Eight.
He was already working out with teams in hopes that one would roll the dice on him in the late second round, but this injury likely forces him to make a roster as a free agent. The injury will also keep him out of the NBA Summer League, which could make the road to the NBA that much tougher for Jardine.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)