Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
Former Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine needed everything to fall his way to sneak into the second round of Thursday’s NBA draft, but his hopes were dealt a blow last Friday.
During a workout with the Utah Jazz, Jardine broke a bone in his right foot after coming down awkwardly and landed on former Mississippi State guard Dee Bost.
“I came down and it just popped,’’ Jardine told the Syracuse Post-Standard by phone. “I tried to finish the workout and I couldn’t put any pressure on it. They shut me down.’’
He underwent surgery yesterday and is expected to take six to eight weeks to recover.
“I’m trying to stay positive,’’ the Philadelphia native said. He reportedly laughed and said, “I’ll probably be able to jump after this.’’
Jardine averaged 8.9 points and 4.9 assists per game last season for Syracuse, helping to lead the Orange to a 34-4 record and a berth in the Elite Eight.
He was already working out with teams in hopes that one would roll the dice on him in the late second round, but this injury likely forces him to make a roster as a free agent. The injury will also keep him out of the NBA Summer League, which could make the road to the NBA that much tougher for Jardine.
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)