Jun 28, 2012, 11:01 AM EST
Former Cincinnati Bearcat, All-American, and NBA forward Pat Cummings has died.
According to a report, the girlfriend of the 55-year-old Cummings found him unconscious in a friend’s apartment in New York City Tuesday and he was later pronounced dead at the scene.
Indications are that there was no criminal activity involved in his death, but an autopsy was performed Wednesday to determine the cause of his passing.
“Pat was obviously a great shooter and made a big impact as one of the best players in the history of our program,” Cincinnati head coach Mick Cronin said in a release. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.”
Cummings played for four seasons with Cincinnati (1974-76, 1977-79), averaging 17.1 points and 8.3 rebounds per game over that span. During the 1978-79 seasons, he averaged 24.5 points and 11.3 rebounds.
He went on to play in the NBA for 12 seasons, having been drafted in the third round of the 1979 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks. In 683 career games at the professional level, he averaged 9.6 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.
It has been a difficult year for the community of Cincinnati Bearcat basketball alumni, as Cummings is the third former player to die in 2012. Former players Phil Wheeler and Jack Twyman died in May.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)