Jun 28, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT
Of all the roster moves in college basketball this off-season, the case of Hawai’i redshirt freshman Orel Lev is one unlike any other on the list.
Lev, a native of Israel, is leaving the program for three years of service in the Israeli army.
Israel requires all citizens to fulfill three years of duty, and with the army denying Lev’s application for an exemption he won’t be back in Honolulu this fall.
“I’m sorry that I can’t come back to Hawai’i,” Lev said in a school statement. “The army did not release me even though we tried to get an exemption. The army is very strict and I’m not allowed to leave the country for the next three years.
“I had a great time in Hawai’i and I wish I could come back to play for a great coach and great teammates. Thank you for the wonderful experience and mahalo to everyone.”
Lev will complete his tour in 2015, and while the door would remain open to play college basketball (either at Hawai’i or another school) there would also be the opportunity to play professionally in Europe.
With four other players leaving Gib Arnold’s program this is a tough blow for the Hawaii program as they move back to the Big West (they were a member of the league from 1984-96).
“While we are disappointed that Orel won’t be able suit up for us the next three years, we completely respect the military commitment he must fulfill,” Arnold said. “There is no greater sacrifice than serving your country.”
Photo credit: Hawai’i Athletics
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)