Jun 28, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT
Of all the roster moves in college basketball this off-season, the case of Hawai’i redshirt freshman Orel Lev is one unlike any other on the list.
Lev, a native of Israel, is leaving the program for three years of service in the Israeli army.
Israel requires all citizens to fulfill three years of duty, and with the army denying Lev’s application for an exemption he won’t be back in Honolulu this fall.
“I’m sorry that I can’t come back to Hawai’i,” Lev said in a school statement. “The army did not release me even though we tried to get an exemption. The army is very strict and I’m not allowed to leave the country for the next three years.
“I had a great time in Hawai’i and I wish I could come back to play for a great coach and great teammates. Thank you for the wonderful experience and mahalo to everyone.”
Lev will complete his tour in 2015, and while the door would remain open to play college basketball (either at Hawai’i or another school) there would also be the opportunity to play professionally in Europe.
With four other players leaving Gib Arnold’s program this is a tough blow for the Hawaii program as they move back to the Big West (they were a member of the league from 1984-96).
“While we are disappointed that Orel won’t be able suit up for us the next three years, we completely respect the military commitment he must fulfill,” Arnold said. “There is no greater sacrifice than serving your country.”
Photo credit: Hawai’i Athletics
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)