Jun 28, 2012, 8:14 PM EST
It didn’t take long for Kentucky to make NBA Draft history on Thursday night.
And by the end of the draft John Calipari’s program had done two things no other school has ever done.
For the first time in the history of the draft the top two picks hail from the same school, with Anthony Davis going to New Orleans as expected and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist being picked by Charlotte.
And with Florida guard Bradley Beal going to Washington with the third pick the SEC can claim the top three picks in the draft, another occurrence that had never happened before tonight.
This is the second time in John Calipari’s three seasons in Lexington in which Kentucky can claim two Top 5 picks in the draft.
Kentucky didn’t end up with five first-round selections as some thought to be possible, but they did get four as Terrence Jones (18th, Houston) and Marquis Teague (29th, Chicago) were called.
Guards Doron Lamb (42nd, Milwaukee) and Darius Miller (46th, New Orleans) went in the second round, pushing the Wildcats’ total up to six.
That is a record for the common draft era (since 1966, when territorial selections were eliminated), but there are more impressive numbers that Kentucky can claim.
In three seasons in Lexington, John Calipari has seen 11 first-rounders and 15 draftees represent the Wildcats.
In the fifteen seasons prior to his arrival according to the Louisville Courier-Journal, Kentucky had ten first-rounders and 15 draftees total.
When the ultimate goal of so many elite players is to reach the NBA, those are some impressive numbers to bring up while on the recruiting trail.
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)